SMP and Post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsmook97

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just want some advice or opinions on my situation for apply to med school in US.

Just a little bit about myself. I am an international student from Canada (non-US citizen/green card nor Canadian) graduated from UofT from class of 2021. I dreamed about being a doctor since young, but after experiencing the academic challenges, I gave up in the high school. First and second years were brutal for me. I was into volunteering and trying to settle down in a field I love, but I ended up with with ~2.3GPA. Then, I took two years gap for my military (mandatory military service in South Korea), and some events happened that I decided to dedicate myself into medicine again. I did finish the last two years with 3.8 GPA each, but my cGPA was still around 3.17 and sGPA ~3.3GPA.

I am aware that as an international student with a low GPA and non-US degree, does put me in a really disadvantage. So, I am planning to retake some courses and consider SMP afterwards for US. For my rationale in retaking some courses is my stupidity of not taking much prerequisites for medical school. I naively thought IB credit will cover most of the courses, which turned out later that it doesn't (for most medical school). I am thinking of taking post-bacc 1 year program to fulfill the prerequisites (physic/gen chem/eng) and taking SMP program to increase my chance of MD acceptance.

This is just my overall thought and any opinions or advices would be appreciated. Thanks for the help in advance!

A little summary about my ECs:

Volunteering experience (both clinical and non-clinical): ~500hrs

Work experience: military (2 years) and currently working in COVID19 testing clinic (1 year)

Research experience: none

Shadowing experience: Planned for upcoming fall

Members don't see this ad.