SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected: Columbia
Site Full: UCLA
Waitlisted: Howard

Should've applied early. I submitted my application the day it was due. :(
Honors Student, URM
GPA: 3.8
BCPM: ~3.78
Extracurriculars: Shadowing with an Oncologist and Primary Care Doctor, Cancer Research Lab, Tutoring at Children's Hospital, Emergency Room Volunteer at Children's Hospital, and Relay For Life Executive Board

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into Rutgers!!!! :) Waitlisted at University of Texas. Rejected from University of Washington:(

Who else will be going to Rutgers?!?!

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected from Case and Columbia but Accepted into Washington!! My first choice and its my first time on the west coast!!! We thank God!!
Anyone else going to Washington?!!

I got accepted to UH :biglove:. If anyone else is going there you should totally message me!! BTW is anyone else's "confirm" button not working? After I click the box and confirm the unchecked box still shows up :(

Has anyone been accepted that isn't a minority or financially disadvantaged??
Yes! I am not financially disadvantaged, but I am hispanic... But my essays were about the work I've been doing in the economically and financially disadvantaged population and my future work in that.

Has anyone heard back from any of their waitlisted sites yet? : o

I was just accepted off the waitlist at Nebraska

Congrats!
I'm still on the waitlist for Houston....

Just keep checking your status every couple hours. Holding good thoughts that you receive a position. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone!!! I got accepted into the first round in Nebraska and I just wanted to let you know that some schools do not update their status so they might have the "--" but they probably already made the decision. I hope everyone gets in somewhere and can't wait to meet people in Nebraska!!! :D
See you in Nebraska!!

Rejected: Duke, Washington
Accepted: Nebraska
Sophomore: 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA
URM, Economically disadvantaged
Did research last semester, Secretary of my science club.
That was about it...
See you in Nebraska!!

Has anyone heard back from the Travel Scholarship?

Anybody going to Nebraska? There is an official Facebook page, and hope everyone joins it. If you guys type SMDEP UNMC, it will pop up on your Facebook home page. Hope to see you guys in Nebraska this summer.

is there an smdep 2015 thread?
can people who got admitted please give any useful advice... stats / what you wrote about/what made you a strong applicant?
thanks!

Hello! I'm new to this thread. I applied and I got accepted to UCLA, Columbia, and Howard.

Im thinking about going to UCLA! :)
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

Hi ! I am planning to apply this 2015 year. What was your secret ??? What advice can you give me ? Thanks !

is there an smdep 2015 thread?
can people who got admitted please give any useful advice... stats / what you wrote about/what made you a strong applicant?
thanks!
Hey there, I did the SMDEP 2014 in UNMC and really enjoyed it. It was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. No matter which site you end up with, you will love it. I would recommend you to highly focus on your personal statement and diversity essay. It will be helpful if you answer why medicine is important to you or why do you think you want to be a health care professional. You can ask your friends and English instructor at your college/university to edit it for you. You have to ensure it’s very logical and free of any grammatical errors. Make sure you submit the application early and ask the professors who know you well to write the letters of recommendation for you. Also, do not apply to what you think are the "top" sites. Make sure you have balanced three sites and no matter where you go, you will have a great summer experience. Wish you all the best!