Small amount of observation hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheeto5k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've observed in two settings recently for about 4 hours each. Is this too small of an amount to list in PTCAS? They were interesting experiences, I just don't want to list them if they won't be considered (I have more hours in another setting).

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Biff, I would put them in if PTCAS allows it. However, look over each school you are applying at. Certain schools have minimum requirements to be met; such as # of hours, minimum # of settings, or certain settings to be volunteered in. Look over your specific schools and make sure you meet their requirements prior to inputting any superfluous data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would include them in any case, but especially if they contribute to the overall diversity of your clinical settings.

Definitely list them. No amount is too small. The city I live in is full of pre-PT students and observing experiences are in such high demand that many facilities have a 4-10 hour max, and a 6 month+ waiting list. So having a just a few hours here and there is not abnormal.

I would definitely list them. It will certainly NOT be a detriment to have more hours on your application, and you may be able to highlight those interesting experiences in an interview or essay. Quality>quantity, although like everyone else has mentioned, make sure you are within the requirement for your chosen programs.

Definitely list them. No amount is too small. The city I live in is full of pre-PT students and observing experiences are in such high demand that many facilities have a 4-10 hour max, and a 6 month+ waiting list. So having a just a few hours here and there is not abnormal.
What city is that?

Almost all schools value breadth much more than depth, so ever little bit helps. Especially if those small numbers of hours are in different settings.

Can you not go back to the places where you did those hours and ask to do a few more?