SLU vs IU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnakeDiscovery

Reaction score
School: SLU
Pros
  • Know people there, have a support system.
  • I dig the student culture from people I've interacted with.
  • Seems like this school genuinely cares about students and offers personalized guidance.
  • I like the vibes.
  • Community service focus which aligns w my values.

Cons
  • STL seems a bit sketch as a city but I lived in Chicago (Near South side) for a few years so IDK how it stacks up.
  • Research isn't as extensive as IU.
  • Lower rank.

School: IU
Pros
  • Higher rank.
  • More research funding, probably more opportunities (wanna keep options open for a surgical specialty).
  • More students.
  • Bloomington, Fort Wayne seem like nice places to live.

Cons
  • Campus placement is a tossup.
  • Admin doesn't seem very attentive to students, the onboarding process has been super chaotic.
  • I don't know the vibe of the school since I have had 0 opportunity to interact w students.

Summary: I like SLU's vibes but IDK if it'll be too hard to match into competitive residencies. Bloomington might be nicer to live in if I match in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say IU (especially if you're IS).

IU's IS COA is ~65k

SLU's OOS COA is ~90k

You can save ~25k per year (so ~100k over the whole 4 years) if you're IS for IU.

I don't know much about SLU, but IU seems to be a very solid school. I can't find their most recent match list, but it is generally very solid with loads of people matching into competitive specialties. There is also research opportunities at each campus (through their scholarly concentration programs where students are also encouraged to publish).

From the looks of it, I don't think you can go wrong with IU.

I'd say IU (especially if you're IS).

IU's IS COA is ~65k

SLU's OOS COA is ~90k

You can save ~25k per year (so ~100k over the whole 4 years) if you're IS for IU.

I don't know much about SLU, but IU seems to be a very solid school. I can't find their most recent match list, but it is generally very solid with loads of people matching into competitive specialties. There is also research opportunities at each campus (through their scholarly concentration programs where students are also encouraged to publish).

From the looks of it, I don't think you can go wrong with IU.
I'm OOS for both IU and SLU, but this was very helpful. Thanks.