SLOEs from EM rotation preceptors that do not have an EM program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The.Supinator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about a SLOE written from non residency program ER faculty, according to CORDEM.org, a faculty member of an ER rotation may write a sloes, what are your thoughts on this? basically if your medical school is affiliated with a hospital that has ER medical students regularly rotating with them then you can get the head of that program to write a SLOE. will ER programs accept this as a sloe?

"Q. My Letter Author is not faculty for an Emergency Medicine residency program, is there an alternate version of the SLOE?
A. There are 2 alternate versions of the SLOE currently available. 1. For Authors who do not have an established emergency medicine residency program at their institution BUT regularly have medical students complete rotations and monitor and/or supervise multiple students OR 1. For Authors from a subspecialty rotation. More information on the different versions of the SLOE as well as eligibility information for authors can be found at
www.cordem.org/sloe

. If your author does not fit into any of the categories they will need to complete a regular letter of recommendation."

Members don't see this ad.

They would essentially need to rotate with enough students to rank you amongst them (I.e I rotate with 50 students a year and they’re in the top half) or something like that to carry any weight.

Reactions: 1 user
so lets say it is not possible to get a third sloe, would it be better have this as a third sloe?

If you already have 2 just use two, and just use the third as a general LOR. You really only need two, and general LOR are usually a lot nicer than a SLOE can be.

Reactions: 1 user