Sleep Medicine fellowship directly after IM residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgerred

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone who claims he is doing a sleep medicine fellowship and he didn't do critical care/pulmonology, neurology, ENT or psychiatry. He just did internal medicine and now claims he will start a sleep medicine fellowship. How is this possible? I thought you had to complete one of these programs to qualify for a sleep fellowship. Did the rules change. I'm also reading somewhere that family medicine residents are applying for sleep? I thought Sleep was so competitive but apprently it isn't. Also this IM resident was not in a competitive IM program or a US grad for that matter

Members don't see this ad.

You can qualify for a sleep fellowship after an IM or FP residency, though it is difficult to get a spot since the fellowships are fairly competitive. I did a combined med/psych residency and qualified for the sleep boards (both the old and new) through my board certification in IM because I had not yet achieved board certification in psychiatry.