Sleep fellowships for Neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielmd06

Neurosomnologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm a PGY-2 Neurologist originally interested in Neurocritical care, Neuroimaging, Stroke/Vascular, and Interventional Neurology. Worked quite hard on two MICU rotations last year and became very much interested in general Pulmonary and Pulmonary-related medicine. Had Sleep Medicine brought to my attention by a friendly Pulmonologist attending as a good cross-over Pulm/Neuro specialty (if I didn't just outright switch to Pulmonology). Bottom line is I still love Neurology, and have been reading alot of Sleep Medicine articles lately...which has really perked my interest in this field.

At my hospital, there are no Sleep fellowships, and Pulmonologists seem to run most of the programs in my region of the country.

How can I learn more about this field in general (to make a much more informed decision), Neurology-friendly programs, and preparing myself for potential application?

What broad recommendations would you guys consider making?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Members don't see this ad.

You're right that the "dominance" of one specialty in sleep med can vary from place to place. However, a really good sleep program, IMHO, is multidisciplinary.

For starters, here's a link to help you find fellowships:

http://www.aasmnet.org/FellowshipTraining.aspx

Check out individual program websites. I'd suggest trying to do an away rotation at a program that sounds interesting to you.

Hey guys.

I'm a PGY-2 Neurologist originally interested in Neurocritical care, Neuroimaging, Stroke/Vascular, and Interventional Neurology. Worked quite hard on two MICU rotations last year and became very much interested in general Pulmonary and Pulmonary-related medicine. Had Sleep Medicine brought to my attention by a friendly Pulmonologist attending as a good cross-over Pulm/Neuro specialty (if I didn't just outright switch to Pulmonology). Bottom line is I still love Neurology, and have been reading alot of Sleep Medicine articles lately...which has really perked my interest in this field.

At my hospital, there are no Sleep fellowships, and Pulmonologists seem to run most of the programs in my region of the country.

How can I learn more about this field in general (to make a much more informed decision), Neurology-friendly programs, and preparing myself for potential application?

What broad recommendations would you guys consider making?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

I am a PGY4 neuro resident and I justed landed a sleep medicine fellowship in a pulmo run program.

From my interview experience most programs do not really care much regarding your background. Most important factor is whether you are genuinely interested in sleep or not. You need to demonstrate this either by research, electives, away rotations, etc...

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to demonstrate this either by research, electives, away rotations, etc...

Good luck.

thanks for the helpful post. in your case, did you do an away rotation at the place you got selected for the fellowship? also, did you do sleep related research?

thanks for the helpful post. in your case, did you do an away rotation at the place you got selected for the fellowship? also, did you do sleep related research?

I have research experience and have been interested in sleep medicine since medical school. I did not do away rotations nor electives because my institution would not allow away rotations and its sleep lab is run by a private group and I was not able to do electives with them. My residency research projects involved sleep disorders and I was able demonstrate that my experience in EEG and EMG is invaluable when it comes to sleep studies and sleep in general.

I have research experience and have been interested in sleep medicine since medical school. I did not do away rotations nor electives because my institution would not allow away rotations and its sleep lab is run by a private group and I was not able to do electives with them. My residency research projects involved sleep disorders and I was able demonstrate that my experience in EEG and EMG is invaluable when it comes to sleep studies and sleep in general.

thanks for the helpful post, USIMG.