SLE & renal involvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reperfused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so SLE can cause either nephrotic or nephritic syndrome.

When it causes Nephrotic syndrome (type V pattern) ---> Membranous Nephropathy ---> there will be "subEPIthelial deposits" (spike and dome appearance). This is the most common presentation of SLE Nephropathy.

When it causes Nephritic syndrome (type IV pattern) ---> DPGN ---> there will be "subENDOthelial deposits" (wire loop appearance). This is the most common cause of death in SLE.

Do I get it right?
Please correct me if I am wrong. Feel free to add any other high yield points. What about the other types of patterns? Are they high yield? I never came across them.

Members don't see this ad.

Everything you have said here about renal involvement in the setting of SLE is correct.

Reactions: 1 user
ok so SLE can cause either nephrotic or nephritic syndrome.

When it causes Nephrotic syndrome (type V pattern) ---> Membranous Nephropathy ---> there will be "subEPIthelial deposits" (spike and dome appearance). This is the most common presentation of SLE Nephropathy.

When it causes Nephritic syndrome (type IV pattern) ---> DPGN ---> there will be "subENDOthelial deposits" (wire loop appearance). This is the most common cause of death in SLE.

Do I get it right?
Please correct me if I am wrong. Feel free to add any other high yield points. What about the other types of patterns? Are they high yield? I never came across them.
Both can occur in SLE, yes.

The USMLE tends to assess DPGN as the answer for SLE almost always.

As a general fun point: the renal conditions with 'proliferative' in their name have subendothelial deposits. So MPGN and DPGN are subendothelial in case one ever forgets. So if they told you something apart from that, you know it's less likely to be DPGN. That's the short answer but I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm, as far as I'm aware, DPGN is both the most common and the most common cause of death. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Members don't see this ad :)