Technology skyscape on iphone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxiousnadd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just saw that they finally came out with it! But, does anyone know if these are native programs or do I need to be connected to the net (which as we all know nearly impossible at most hospitals)??

Members don't see this ad.

The new programs reside on the iPhone/iPod Touch. You don't have to be connected to the Internet in order to use them.

The new programs reside on the iPhone/iPod Touch. You don't have to be connected to the Internet in order to use them.
Can someone tell me why applications that cost $70 outright for Palm/PPC cost $60 for iPhone, but you have to renew your payment every year?

Between iPhone subscription service phone plan costing more and having to cough up a few hundred dollars every year to renew software, it really is starting to look like a more and more expensive purchase.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've actually been a little disappointed with Skyscape/Archimedes for iphone. There's nothing wrong with the content, but the navigation just seems more complicated than it should be. Instead of some of the other medical calculators that are available where you tap the variable you want to enter and a number pad pops up, you have to tap in the variable's box, then the letter keypad pops up, so you have to tap again for the number pad (and then it's the keypad number pad instead of the phone number pad which is much bigger). I know it's only one extra tap, but the whole thing is just really a poor set up - relatively speaking. Navigation for RxDrugs and OCM is also not consistent with your typical iPhone program. Once again, there's nothing wrong with content, but it's almost like a higher priority was placed on consistent appearance with Skyscape versions on other OSes instead of taking full advantage of what the iPhone excels at.

One of the problems with trying to purchase/license established reference texts in electronic form is that the publishers of these works are so afraid of cannibalizing their lucrative existing reference book sales that they either overcharge for the electronic versions or they simply refuse to offer them. For example, the AMA, which owns the CPT codes will not license them for use in any software that simply looks up CPT codes and descriptions. They would rather keep selling you CPT books or at least sell their own software.

The answer to this, in my opinion is to eventually utilize only references that were developed in non-print media like Epocrates and web-based content. Eventually, pedigreed text-based references will either lower their prices or simply be supplanted.

The only problem with all Skyscape apps for iphone is that they only give you 1 YEAR of access to the book when you pay for it, then it stops working. So let's say that you buy Surgical Recall on skyscape for $30, in 2 years you would have spent $60 for the book. Its truly a ripoff and its even worse because this is not the case for the same title on Windows Mobile or Palm Skyscape.

The only problem with all Skyscape apps for iphone is that they only give you 1 YEAR of access to the book when you pay for it, then it stops working. So let's say that you buy Surgical Recall on skyscape for $30, in 2 years you would have spent $60 for the book. Its truly a ripoff and its even worse because this is not the case for the same title on Windows Mobile or Palm Skyscape.
I totally agree. It's a huge ripoff. I bought a great program for my treo but can't use it on my iPhone due to the strict licensing. I'll have the palm app forever but can only get the iPhone app for a year. See ya later skyscape!