Skipping lectures and studying at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaadboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lectures are useless to me because i am more of a visual learner therefore when i get to DPT school i plan to just skip lectures and study lecture notes. Would that work? and if not why?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at my school. We have a grade multiplier for attendance and participation. So, even if you got an A with all of your course work and exams, they have the right to lower your grade for not coming to class.

In addition, lots of of our classes incorporate our labs in the middle of class. For instance, our musculoskeletal class was 5 hrs long but we would alternate between lecture and lab.

In short, I wouldn't advise skipping out, but that's based on my experience with the program I attended.

Not at my school. We have a grade multiplier for attendance and participation. So, even if you got an A with all of your course work and exams, they have the right to lower your grade for not coming to class.

In addition, lots of of our classes incorporate our labs in the middle of class. For instance, our musculoskeletal class was 5 hrs long but we would alternate between lecture and lab.

In short, I wouldn't advise skipping out, but that's based on my experience with the program I attended.
Oh alright, well in my program attendance is not mandatory. Would it be easy for me to get A's on the exams by just studying the lecture notes?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan on skipping classes, I beg you not to apply to PT school. Honestly, leave it for someone else who deserves that spot.

And while I'm in the begging mood, I also beg you to stop posting on SDN.

Sincerely,
The rest of us

If you plan on skipping classes, I beg you not to apply to PT school. Honestly, leave it for someone else who deserves that spot.

And while I'm in the begging mood, I also beg you to stop posting on SDN.

Sincerely,
The rest of us
nah im not gunna stop posting questions its a free country

4/5 on the troll scale. He's trying pretty hard.

I also beg you to stop posting on SDN. :laugh:

Agreed...

Brandon - you're making a fool of yourself by posting these inane questions.

From the questions you are asking here, I find it hard to believe that you're 26.

Oh I don't know... I've this thing for airheads...

Look - seriously, if your real-life persona is the same as what we see on this board, I predict you will have a very successful career being everyone's laughingstock.

Signing off for good.

** Don't waste your time feeding this troll and he will go away. **

Honestly, the best academic decision during PT school was starting to skip classes(and not buying the books). I'm not trolling, I'm being honest.
I'm talking lectures here, not labs. Our labs and lectures were separate. We would have classes from 8-5 usually back to back to back to back to back.etc...so you are literally just sitting there all day listening to lectures. I always found it more productive to just read the powerpoints myself at home, instead of the teacher droning on about the same thing for 3 hours straight. We had an attendance policy, but that was only if you were caught. Well one day I got caught and had to go talk to the teacher for a sit down. I explained to her how I am the one borrowing $240k to payback over the next thirty years of my life, and not everybody learns in the same way. She agreed that made sense so we had an agreement that if I failed, I couldn't bitch about it and protest the grade, etc. I was fine with that.
I got more sleep, could exercise more, still did fine on my tests, passed the NPTE, and have been a darn good therapist for 2 years now. Just because I was not a type A robot doesn't mean I'm somehow not qualified for PT or didn't deserve my spot in PT school. Everybody learns differently and at different speeds. Some of my classmates would ask the dumbest questions, and the teacher would go on a tangent for an hour. It was better not to be there, than to be there and screwing around on facebook on my laptop.

Just to further point out that some people just cannot concentrate in class, for Cardiopulm I would literally tape the lecture on my phone, space out for class, then go to the library to a private room and listen to the lecture and do notes there. I needed no distractions.

I really can't say much, as I'm found asleep for most of the lectures. My classmates have posted pictures of me snoozing in class on FB... Not that I MEAN to do it, it's just that I can't stay awake during the lectures unless I'm literally retyping PPT slides word for word in a word document or OneNote. And I know it's highly disrespectful to the professors, but even with coffee, 8+ hours of sleep, snacks, I can't stay awake. The professors already know about this, and they don't mind anymore since I don't have any trouble in classes. Still, I always feel guilty when I wake up.

Totally depends on the person. If you're one of those people who get things fairly quickly, it's not a problem, if there's no attendance policy. However, I was mostly always awake during labs.

Honestly, the best academic decision during PT school was starting to skip classes(and not buying the books). I'm not trolling, I'm being honest.
I'm talking lectures here, not labs. Our labs and lectures were separate. We would have classes from 8-5 usually back to back to back to back to back.etc...so you are literally just sitting there all day listening to lectures. I always found it more productive to just read the powerpoints myself at home, instead of the teacher droning on about the same thing for 3 hours straight. We had an attendance policy, but that was only if you were caught. Well one day I got caught and had to go talk to the teacher for a sit down. I explained to her how I am the one borrowing $240k to payback over the next thirty years of my life, and not everybody learns in the same way. She agreed that made sense so we had an agreement that if I failed, I couldn't bitch about it and protest the grade, etc. I was fine with that.
I got more sleep, could exercise more, still did fine on my tests, passed the NPTE, and have been a darn good therapist for 2 years now. Just because I was not a type A robot doesn't mean I'm somehow not qualified for PT or didn't deserve my spot in PT school. Everybody learns differently and at different speeds. Some of my classmates would ask the dumbest questions, and the teacher would go on a tangent for an hour. It was better not to be there, than to be there and screwing around on facebook on my laptop.

Just to further point out that some people just cannot concentrate in class, for Cardiopulm I would literally tape the lecture on my phone, space out for class, then go to the library to a private room and listen to the lecture and do notes there. I needed no distractions.

This.
I was a paying customer in PT school. I was an adult learner. Education is a commodity, and I was a consumer paying for a service. Just because it's competitive to get in doesn't mean you have to conform to someone else's idea of how to learn. I would waste so much time in class because I am not an auditory learner; I missed 3 classes all of PT school because I went out of respect for my professors but several of my friends skipped routinely and did better on the exams because they used their time more efficiently. I did not look down on them at all, that was their right. In fact, I looked down on other students who looked down on people who skipped to study... if that makes sense!

It's mandatory that we go to all of our classes. We will be penalized for missing any class without a legitimate excuse. Sounds very strict to me.

It depends on what type of student you are, what are your grades are, and what your school's attendance policy is. At my school, attendance is mandatory, but that's hard to enforce when there are 60-70 students in a lecture and there is no attendance sheet every class.

If you're a borderline student just trying to pass, then I recommend you go to lecture. You need to make sure you're doing everything you can. Many of my professors leave their notes incomplete, which obliges all students to come. You can't just study the Power Point, you have to supplement them.

Conversely, I've attended lectures during which I was studying my own notes because I found it more productive than listen to the professor tell us what the slides say. I've had several classes for which I could have read the online notes and done fine in the class (anatomy and pathology).

Some classes include good work and a weekly assignment after the lecture, so you definitely have to come to those lectures.

Kevin

That guy is persistent. How did you find his name and age though?

I know a lot more than his name and age.