SIU School of Medicine, Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illiniTJ

Oskee Wow Wow
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like we have 5 weeks until the white coat ceremony!

I'll start us off with some background:

Past School: U of Illinois
Hometown: Peoria (Dunlap High)

I've already met a few people from the class of 2008 and everyone seems to enjoy the program and tight knit of the 72 students. I'm curious to know if anyone else is living in Pine Shores, or near Giant City Road

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there. I'm not an SIUer...almost was, though! About the IPOD dealio...tell me more about it if you get a chance. What if I don't get 5 people? Thanks!

Another SIU student here. I actually looked at townhouses along giant city road, but my roommate and I settled on one on E Campus St.

Undergrad: McKendree College
High School: Breese Mater Dei

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah,

Originally from Mahomet-Seymour,
Undergrad at Augustana (Bio/Pre-med)
living on E College St, in the Argonne, its a hole but its within walking distance of campus (a must). If anyone else is here and wants to get a beer or something drop me a line at...

AIM: Tiger Striped Dog

Hey, does anyone here know the meaning of the terms "d20" or "white wolf" If so drop me a line at

[email protected]

peace

P.S. I Don't need a free Ipod.

hey all...
how many of your families are going to be at orientation? thursday night? friday night?

medicinehopeful said:
hey all...
how many of your families are going to be at orientation? thursday night? friday night?

Since my family's coming from Peoria, they're only coming for the white coat ceremony. Sounds like we'll be pretty busy on Thursday and Friday, so I won't be much of a host until Friday night.

illiniTJ said:
Since my family's coming from Peoria, they're only coming for the white coat ceremony. Sounds like we'll be pretty busy on Thursday and Friday, so I won't be much of a host until Friday night.

Yeah...my family is only coming on friday too. Are any of you buying any books before school? or just wait and order later?

medicinehopeful said:
Yeah...my family is only coming on friday too. Are any of you buying any books before school? or just wait and order later?

Well, we did just get a couple emails from older students looking to sell some books to us, but I haven't looked into the specific books we need yet. I also saw in our "guide" book that we should wait to see what kind of books we'll actually need until the first week of class. I'm going to try and save as much as possible in this book buying process. One way I've seen is to use the resource center. Sounds like they have plenty of the books available there.

Hey I just accepted a spot in the c/o 2009 this morning!!!

Past Schools: BS @ U of I (Champaign) & MS at IIT

Hometown: Grew up in Oak Park,IL (OPRF High School) and now live in Glenwood, IL.

Anybody looking for a roommate??? PM me.

Don't die on me thread!!!

We're not that busy yet. Keep posting.

Well, I was accepted for this fall and deferred until next year to make some $$$. I have been doing some research on places to live, books to buy, etc. and was hoping I might be able to get some advice from you all who are starting this fall on how you went about relocating to Carbondale. I currently live in Washington DC so I will have to move back to IL next summer. Any recommendations on when I should start looking for housing? Hopefully I'll be able to find someone that is giving up their wonderful abode and can take over their place.
Anyway, even though I won't be seeing any of you until I get to Springfield, it would be great to keep in touch about how things are with your first year. Let me know the good/bad things you did while moving & starting SIU SOM :)Best of luck!!!

My roommate (IlliniTJ) and I have a 3-bedroom in Pine Shores that we'll be looking to unload come June 3rd (day after finals). It's a 5-10 min drive from the 2 buildings we have class in, far enough from the undergrads to be nice, but close enough to the bars. Think about it.

As for advice, SIU is the "randome piece of paper" school, in that you get a lot of sheets of paper with individual parts to your semester schedule on them. Get yourself a hand-me-down PDA (SIU supposedly issues you a PDA come 2nd year, so don't buy one-- yet) or a good dayplanner. It will be invaluable for scheduling clinical experiences, standardized pat. stuff and clinical medicine resource sessions.

More advice-- for the first few weeks, just go with the flow, don't stress-- this is a wierd but awesome curriculum.

katiekate said:
Well, I was accepted for this fall and deferred until next year to make some $$$. I have been doing some research on places to live, books to buy, etc. and was hoping I might be able to get some advice from you all who are starting this fall on how you went about relocating to Carbondale. I currently live in Washington DC so I will have to move back to IL next summer. Any recommendations on when I should start looking for housing? Hopefully I'll be able to find someone that is giving up their wonderful abode and can take over their place.
Anyway, even though I won't be seeing any of you until I get to Springfield, it would be great to keep in touch about how things are with your first year. Let me know the good/bad things you did while moving & starting SIU SOM :)Best of luck!!!

katiekate said:

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be accepted for fall 2006 too! SIU is definitely my #1 choice. I agree that you should start looking in May or so. My boyfriend just started law school there, and he had landlords act completely shocked when he started asking around about places in March, so it's no big deal if you put it off. He ended up with a great apartment south of campus on S. Illinois owned by Alpha Rentals. Very quiet and super nice. I know that they reserve some of their apartments for law students, so they might have some for med students too. Don't know. Just be careful... there are some random areas in Carbondale where you don't want to be out on the streets at night!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops! Didn't realize megboo had already mentioned Alpha Rentals. Sorry for repeating you. Well, I guess that just goes to show you should look them up. :)

Hey SIU Prospects,

I have been keeping a blogger on my med school journey down at SIU. Feel free to read through it and see what i've been up to. It may change some of your minds about things to do in Carbondale. I have had great weekends for the past month living down here. Check it out and let me know if you have questions.
tjmed.blogspot.com

And... as PBMaxx said, I am willing to arrange my apartment for anyone coming down next year for you. Last year, another med student lived here, now PBMaxx and I, next year could be YOU. Its a nice quiet community with a pond and professional students (we have 2 other med students living under our roof as well).

Good luck applying

I am also currently a student down here at Carbondale. If anyone would be interested in housing or maybe just a little info on the the application process pm me. I would be happy to help.

KatieKate - What was your experience with deferring admission? I think I've decided that if I get in, I'm going to defer. (My boyfriend and I want to get married sometime in the next couple years, and the whole switch to Springfield during year 2 would mean that I'd have to be there while he's finishing up law school in Carbondale.) Were they pretty cool with it?

Also, what do you guys think of the PBL?

DrJen said:
KatieKate - What was your experience with deferring admission? I think I've decided that if I get in, I'm going to defer. (My boyfriend and I want to get married sometime in the next couple years, and the whole switch to Springfield during year 2 would mean that I'd have to be there while he's finishing up law school in Carbondale.) Were they pretty cool with it?

Also, what do you guys think of the PBL?

PBL takes some getting used to, and I'm not sure I am completely used to it yet. However, it is an extremely cool way to get at the basic science underlying medicine. All of our molec. bio, physio, biochem, etc. is presented in a clinical context and relevance. This is nice considering that this is the context inwhich it will be used.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I miss having a syllabus and assigned reading sometimes.

Try it, you'll like it.

PBMaxx said:
PBL takes some getting used to, and I'm not sure I am completely used to it yet. However, it is an extremely cool way to get at the basic science underlying medicine. All of our molec. bio, physio, biochem, etc. is presented in a clinical context and relevance. This is nice considering that this is the context inwhich it will be used.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I miss having a syllabus and assigned reading sometimes.

Try it, you'll like it.

Are there any tests or papers or anything? I am starting SIU SOM next fall and am still muy confused about the PBL thing. I am assuming I'll just figure it out when I get there and try and just go with flow with no previous expectations.

Also, I have a question for those who are starting. I have a year to catch up on any learning issues or review of basic science knowledge and was wondering what would be the most helpful to spruce up on before classes start. I'm teaching my self Spanish and getting lots of leisure reading in. Traveling and watching plenty of TV and movies since I know I won't be able to to T-10 months. Good luck :)

katiekate said:
Also, I have a question for those who are starting. I have a year to catch up on any learning issues or review of basic science knowledge and was wondering what would be the most helpful to spruce up on before classes start.

PBL is great after learning how to learn from it. It does take some time to trust the system. As for getting ahead, I would recommend general reading in anything related to Cardiology, Respiratory, and Renal functions. These areas are the first ones covered in the year one curriculum. Having any background knowledge about anything in these fields will be helpful. Picking up a medical physiology book at a library (don't buy books!) is helpful too. The reason I say to not buy books is the resourcefulness of our medical resource center (library). It has plenty of volumes of all kinds of textbooks. You can 'test drive' any of the books you may be interested in. Plus, you can easily renew the books throughout the entire year.

By the way.... updated the blog now that mid-term exams are over

tjmed.blogspot.com

katiekate said:
Are there any tests or papers or anything? I am starting SIU SOM next fall and am still muy confused about the PBL thing. I am assuming I'll just figure it out when I get there and try and just go with flow with no previous expectations.

Also, I have a question for those who are starting. I have a year to catch up on any learning issues or review of basic science knowledge and was wondering what would be the most helpful to spruce up on before classes start. I'm teaching my self Spanish and getting lots of leisure reading in. Traveling and watching plenty of TV and movies since I know I won't be able to to T-10 months. Good luck :)

There are tests-- a "mid-unit" (15%) and an "end-of-unit" (85%) for the first 2 units of Year 1 (CRR-- Cardio, Resp. and Renal & SSB-- Sensory-Motor Systems and Behavior) and one "end-of-unit" for ERG (Endocrine, Reproductive, Gastrointestinal). This constitutes the "Basic Science" portion of the curriculum. The written portion of the exam is modeled after the boards (i.e. passage/case based, multiple choice, covers all areas of study up until the exam) and we have histology and anatomy practical examinations in addition to the written exam.
The "Clinical Medicine" part of the curriculum is "tested" in the PDL (Professional Development Lab) and on the computer (CCX-- Clinical Competency Examination). There are mid- and end-of-unit CCX Cases for the Clinical Medicine Curriculum, and we see standardized patients and are observed and trained in the PDL as the unit progresses. Obviously the main goal in the first year for Clin Med is more to see progress and improvement rather than immediate mastery of skills (although there are some that should be at least proficient, if not mastered by the end of the first unit-- history taking being one of them). The CCX case exams go like this: Go to the PDL, see an SP (Standardized Patient), complete history and physical exam, organize notes, go to the computer for data entry, enter chief complaint, hypotheses, pertinent (+) and (-) findings, vitals, then request lab tests and results. After all of this a diagnosis is entered and defended, and an "Issue List" generated (i.e. problems other than the chief complaint that the patient might have).
As far as studying in your time before school-- if you really feel the need, then bone up on basic embryology, biochemistry, and molecular bio. Otherwise, my advice is don't worry about it and enjoy your time now.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the curriculum is a little complicated to explain, but it all makes sense once you are in it.

PBM

In 48 hours we will be finished with our first round of finals and our first unit of med school.

Hell yeah.

So, finals rocked (well, I rocked the finals :rolleyes: -- hold your applause please :laugh: ), break was too short, and we're in the new Neuro Unit, and we are now coming up on another break (that will undoubtedly be too short as well).

OK then, that about does it for now.

Awesome!! Hey, how are your clinical visits going? Are you learning H&P's yet? Good enough to work in a clinical setting say over the summer?
Havea great Holiday Break :)

katiekate said:
Awesome!! Hey, how are your clinical visits going? Are you learning H&P's yet? Good enough to work in a clinical setting say over the summer?
Havea great Holiday Break :)

Clinical stuff is progressing nicely. By summer we should have all of the tools necessary for a solid H & P foundation, which then can be honed to do focused H&P's.

Unfortunately this will be a "working vacation" as we are in the middle of a Unit, as will Spring Break, but hey-- I'll take it!!

While starting my carbondale apartment search I realized that we wont be there a full year (about 10 months August-May). So my question is what are you guys doing about leases? Are there really that many places that will let you lease for less than a year? I really wouldnt be too concerned with it but I am interested in doing that mentored enrichment program --and would most likely do that in springfield, so i'd like to move back here to springpatch asap and not be tied down in carbondale. Hope all is well. Thanks!

SigPi said:
While starting my carbondale apartment search I realized that we wont be there a full year (about 10 months August-May). So my question is what are you guys doing about leases? Are there really that many places that will let you lease for less than a year? I really wouldnt be too concerned with it but I am interested in doing that mentored enrichment program --and would most likely do that in springfield, so i'd like to move back here to springpatch asap and not be tied down in carbondale. Hope all is well. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. But from my experiences you shouldn't have too big a problem subletting for those two months. I imagine there are lots of students who stay for the summer or only are there for the summer, say the ones from MedPrep or summer undergrads? Looks like there are only a few places that rent for the academic year, which is ending in early June. Know anything about the on-campus housing - Evergreen Park or University Apartments (I thinkt hat's what their called). They are really cheap and definately rent by the school year and not calendar year. If you find out anything pass the word along.

2 WEEKS 'TIL NEURO IS OVER!!!!!!

WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Bring on ERG.