SIR Meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidjones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am not going to SIR this year due to poor vacation planning :), however, would someone who did go be willing to post any highlights of the meeting?

Members don't see this ad.

Well,
It has just started, but outside of the cold Chicago weather it's going great. Great student and resident turnout this year, including a packed medical student breakfast reception and technical exhibit tours. Lots of activities are still ongoing, so lots more details to come from Chicago.

Great student programming. You could tell that there was a renewed emphasis on students and residents. I definitely hope to attend next year post-match.

I just wish more students were able to stick around for the Monday schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
any big study results revealed like EPOCH (just as an example I know it's a new thing)?

any new procedures?

I'm really bummed I couldn't go and trying to live vicariously through you guys?

Did anyone attend the "how to set up a resident clinic" lecture?

I have not heard of the EPOCH trial. BUt, they did present some interesting information on prostatic artery embolization for BPH.

The other thing that had a fair amount of buzz was the controversial subject of CCSVI for the treatment of patients with MS (ie thinking it is related to venous hypertension and thus ballooning the jugular or azygous vein) and it was very interesting to see the debate between Dr. Reekers (against) and Dr. Siskin (for).

The resident run IR clinics generated a fair amount of buzz and it seems to be that other places are starting to catch on. There was a poster at SIR on it and it had won an award. There will be 2 posters at AUR on this as well.

Hope that helps.

I'm kind of curious which other programs are starting the resident run clinic. Or if anyone on here has experience with it.

I'm kind of curious which other programs are starting the resident run clinic. Or if anyone on here has experience with it.
www.VIRresidentclinic.org was the website that was created by one of the sponsoring institutions of the talk. You could contact someone at Maine Medical Center, Kaiser LA, or WFU. There might be contact info somewhere on the website.

that is awesome...I knew of Kaiser's and Maine's, but it's nice to see virginia and wake forest in the fray too. anyone know of any others?

also what's AUR?

Yes, we are quite excited about the resident run IR clinics. We got the idea originally from the great work at the Maine Medical center. Apparently William Beaumont in Michigan actually is rolling out their clinic April 1st. We are going to have a couple of posters at AUR. Hopefully you will be able to learn more about it. PM me and I can perhaps tell you more about it.

Sorry AUR stands for association of university radiologists. This year the annual meeting will be in Boston in a couple of weeks.

It is a program for radiology chief residents, radiology program directors and radiology program coordinators. We discuss the future board exams and any pertinent issues for resident training etc. The resident run IR clinic group will be there and look forward to presenting some posters on this topic. If any of you are going to be there we would love to talk to you about this and help you to get this started at your facility if you are interested.

Sincerely

G. Vatakencherry MD