USMLE Single-paragraph HPI on Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BionicMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else written their HPI as a single paragraph, including relevant ROS, PMH, FH, SH? I had practiced writing them separately during my school's OSCE but was startled by the length limit when I took Step 2 CS, so I condensed relevant info into a single paragraph.

Curious if anybody else did this, and if they passed. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody else written their HPI as a single paragraph, including relevant ROS, PMH, FH, SH? I had practiced writing them separately during my school's OSCE but was startled by the length limit when I took Step 2 CS, so I condensed relevant info into a single paragraph.

Isn't the HPI supposed to be a single paragraph in real life?

Yes. I guess I was being confusing. The example patient notes have an HPI followed by separate PMH, FH, SH. But after including relevant info in the HPI I always found there was hardly any room left to include separate sections.

I'm hoping there are some others out there that did the same.

Do they give points for organization? I feel like if the relevant info is there, then that's what counts ya?

Members don't see this ad :)

As long as all of the information they're looking for is there it doesn't matter what format your note is in. If you look at the USMLE website they make it clear variation is both accepted (and anticipated).