single board Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Isla-MD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a combined heme/Onc program and am done with first year, is there any way I can ask to be single boarded in Onc and finish the program in 2 years instead of 3 years? Can they refuse to let me single board?

Members don't see this ad.

You can ask, but they can refuse.
Thanks a lot for your response. So they can refuse to single board me and I can't force them even if I met the ACGME criteria for single board?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your response. So they can refuse to single board me and I can't force them even if I met the ACGME criteria for single board?

The ACGME and the specialty medical boards are completely distinct entities.

Hello again,
I appreciate your responses, I also have another question, if I decide to quit my fellowship after I'm done with first year, do I really loose chance to apply for another fellowships like allergy/immunology or rheumatology (I mean totally unrelated fellowships). I want to know what is the consequenses before making any decision as it is life changing. I again really really appreciate your honest responses.

You can still apply, but it's going to be an uphill climb because they're going to question your commitment to this new specialty that you have little/no experience with.

Curious why you would do that though unless you've just completely lost interest in Oncology.

My fellowship program was very open about their willingness to let people single-board in Oncology even if they matched to Heme+Onc, and at times would let people graduate after 2 years if they got enough advanced warning to arrange the schedule to complete all appropriate requirements (happened a few times in the past decade). Like gutonc said, this is going to be very institution by institution, because not everyone is going to just let you opt out of a fellowship you signed yourself up for. They certainly aren't going to give you credit for time served if you drop out a year early without their blessings, because you probably didn't complete 2 years of onc fellowship, you did 2/3rds of an onc fellowship mixed with 2/3rds of a heme fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
You can still apply, but it's going to be an uphill climb because they're going to question your commitment to this new specialty that you have little/no experience with.

Curious why you would do that though unless you've just completely lost interest in Oncology.
Honestly I did not lose my interest but I'm under a lot of pressure in my program, I even wish if I could transfer and start from first year again in another place (I'm not sure if its even doable)

Usually 1st year is the hardest one, then 2nd and 3rd due to more elective time and interviewing etc can be more manageable.

Talk to senior fellows? may be there is light at the end of the tunnel?