simple question

itzsohz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i understand diff ppl will have diff standards.

BUT

what's a good score??(good enough that GPA 3.0 can get in for sure)

yeah.. i just decided to pursue optometry 3 days ago... so :)

Members don't see this ad.

i understand diff ppl will have diff standards.

BUT

what's a good score??(good enough that GPA 3.0 can get in for sure)

yeah.. i just decided to pursue optometry 3 days ago... so :)

Considering the avg. gpa to get into most OD school is 3.4-3.5 gpa, you will need about a 350 out of 400. Schools take into account where you went for your undergrad. So hopefully your 3.0 is not from university of margaritas. :)

curious....
Were you a pre-med student? If that is the case, please don't apply to optometry school. You won't be happy even if you get in. The odds of you getting into an osteopathic school is probably greater than getting into optometry school. good luck.

Considering the avg. gpa to get into most OD school is 3.4-3.5 gpa, you will need about a 350 out of 400. Schools take into account where you went for your undergrad. So hopefully your 3.0 is not from university of margaritas. :)

curious....
Were you a pre-med student? If that is the case, please don't apply to optometry school. You won't be happy even if you get in. The odds of you getting into an osteopathic school is probably greater than getting into optometry school. good luck.

Are you sure about that?? What are everyone's take on this?

Are you sure about that?? What are everyone's take on this?

There is not an actual comparison. But I am just basing on the average gpas (3.3) into DO school and MCAT scores. Getting into any type of professional school is competitive.

Grades shouldn't be a determining factor on WHAT profession you choose to pursue. If you always wanted to be a veterinarian and you have a low gpa, retake classes/entrance exam, and reapply if necessary. It's unfortunate that I heard some of my former undergrad classmates say, "yea my gpa is low, I think I might apply to optometry school." Hopefully the OP does not fall into that category.

It's unfortunate that I heard some of my former undergrad classmates say, "yea my gpa is low, I think I might apply to optometry school." Hopefully the OP does not fall into that category.

Yeah I know what you mean.. I have a very good friend who is pre-med, and optometry is his "backup". Both his parents are OD's. It's kind of ridiculous.