Silly question- when to capitalize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitalsideburn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While filling out my application for ophtho residency I've pondered many times which of any of these words should be capitalized:

ophthalmology
ophthalmologist
neuro-ophthamology (do either or both get capitalized?)

I'm NOT been capitalizing any of these words (unless of course they are at the beginning of a sentence).

Can anyone help with this silly question?

Members don't see this ad.

While filling out my application for ophtho residency I've pondered many times which of any of these words should be capitalized:

ophthalmology
ophthalmologist

I'm NOT been capitalizing any of these words (unless of course they are at the beginning of a sentence).

None of those nouns require capitalization unless of course they are used at the beginning of a sentence or are used in a name that takes the form of a proper noun, (e.g., Stanford Department of Ophthalmology, Division of Neuro-ophthalmology,) or as part of a title of a named individual, (e.g., Joe Schmoe, M.D., Senior Resident Ophthalmologist.)

ophthalmology
ophthalmologist

Thanks for posting this! Even four years later it is still a very relevant question!