Significant Research Experience Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babykarat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I organized my essay by project. I talked about what the project was, what my role was, what was produced from it, and what I took away personally and professionally from the experience. It might make sense to do that with yours as well, but organizing by lab as what I got out of a project depended a lot on my relationship with my mentor on it.

Reactions: 4 users
I would group them by lab. It'll be confusing to talk about one project in one lab, jump to a different project in another lab, and then go back to the first lab.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I organized my essay by project. I talked about what the project was, what my role was, what was produced from it, and what I took away personally and professionally from the experience. It might make sense to do that with yours as well, but organizing by lab as what I got out of a project depended a lot on my relationship with my mentor on it.

Thanks! Do you think the following format would be confusing? Below are the headers for each section I plan on describing. Within each section I would reference the numbering to clarify when I did what.

Laboratory of John Doe, PhD. Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of City, State. Dates: (1) June – September 2016 (2) June – September 2017 (3) December 2018 – May 2019 (4) June 2019 – Gap Year

Laboratory of Jane Doe, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Committee on Immunology, University of City. Dates: (1) November 2016 – June 2017 (2) September 2017 – June 2019

Laboratory of Johnny Smith, Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, University of City, State. Dates: July 2013 – September 2015

Thanks! Do you think the following format would be confusing? Below are the headers for each section I plan on describing. Within each section I would reference the numbering to clarify when I did what.

Laboratory of John Doe, PhD. Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of City, State. Dates: (1) June – September 2016 (2) June – September 2017 (3) December 2018 – May 2019 (4) June 2019 – Gap Year

Laboratory of Jane Doe, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Committee on Immunology, University of City. Dates: (1) November 2016 – June 2017 (2) September 2017 – June 2019

Laboratory of Johnny Smith, Department of Molecular & Cell Biology, University of City, State. Dates: July 2013 – September 2015

My personal opinion is that the Work/activities section is the proper place to be clear about timeline/dates. The main purpose of the SRE is to communicate the extent of your experience and where you are in your development as a scientist, especially one who aspires to be a Physician Scientist. I would be more concerned that the SRE flow well in such a way to communicate this without confusing the reader. So, my vote would be for organizing the essay by lab and not worry so much about being clear about dates etc as that will be apparent in the W/A section. Also, I would devote the highest word count and attention to the most significant experience.

Reactions: 1 users