Significant Research Essay Format?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeGibbs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Primary just verified with 1 MD school, and about to add all MD/PhD schools for re-submission. I wrote my significant research experiences in the following format with the respective labels preceding paragraphs:
  1. Lab1 Intro
  2. Lab1 Background
  3. Lab1 Involvement/Projects
  4. Lab1 Results/Reflections
Each part has a short-blurb of maybe 4-5 sentences. Overall my experience essay was ~7000 char for my heavy involvement in two labs. Is this format fine, or are they looking for more of the story/anecdotal format for research experience essay?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People do it different ways; I wrote mine similar to yours with a conclusion sort of wrapping things up. Some people like to write a narrative essay.

As long as it conveys your experiences and interests it should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember to adhere to the adage "Less is More." Succinct and to the point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember to adhere to the adage "Less is More." Succinct and to the point.

Interesting feedback! I had not considered using less than the full 10,000 characters for this essay....

Personally: I have 5 lab experiences that I would consider impactful/significant: ~1 per year during undergrad, and 1 for 2.5 years since graduation. (all 5 recommending).

I currently use the first 5000 characters to discuss my ongoing work in the current lab, then 5000 words to summarize all work getting here. Does that make sense? Or is too wordy and better to chop out second half?

Interesting feedback! I had not considered using less than the full 10,000 characters for this essay....

Personally: I have 5 lab experiences that I would consider impactful/significant: ~1 per year during undergrad, and 1 for 2.5 years since graduation. (all 5 recommending).

I currently use the first 5000 characters to discuss my ongoing work in the current lab, then 5000 words to summarize all work getting here. Does that make sense? Or is too wordy and better to chop out second half?

If you were an adcom would you read all of that?

I feel 5000 for a single lab is alot, especially considering you have 4 more to talk about. Mine was ~2500 per lab, with maybe ~700 with a conclusion (not really needed now that i think about it). Even with ~2500 per lab, I felt I spent too much time talking about a single lab. But then again I only worked in 2 labs, with long durations at each, so i felt it was necessary to be a little more in-depth.

I would only skim this essay. 10,000 characters is way too long, and I won't likely remember the take away talking point. Less is always more.

Reactions: 1 users