Significance of Choice of Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a Canadian resident that will be attending the University of Toronto, followed by a Canadian medical school, hopefully the University of Toronto Medical School, my final goal is to obtain a faculty position as a professor of medicine at one of the top US medical schools. To what degree does where you attend medical school (US vs. Canada, in particular) have a bearing on what residency opportunities are available to you, ignoring individual differences?

In other words, is there a cascading effect in which not going to a US medical school will bar (make more difficult) for me to get into a US residency position, which in turn will make more difficult for me to get a fellowship in the US, which will finally make more difficult for me to get a faculty position at one of the top US schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Marquis_Phoenix said:
As a Canadian resident that will be attending the University of Toronto, followed by a Canadian medical school, hopefully the University of Toronto Medical School, my final goal is to obtain a faculty position as a professor of medicine at one of the top US medical schools. To what degree does where you attend medical school (US vs. Canada, in particular) have a bearing on what residency opportunities are available to you, ignoring individual differences?

In other words, is there a cascading effect in which not going to a US medical school will bar (make more difficult) for me to get into a US residency position, which in turn will make more difficult for me to get a fellowship in the US, which will finally make more difficult for me to get a faculty position at one of the top US schools?

Thanks.

IDEA: Spend your own money on your medical education instead of sucking it out of the Canadian system. You will be making a nice amount of cash in the US so debt shouldn't scare you. However, the thought of all Canadian doctors hemorrhaging to the South should.

Marquis_Phoenix said:

Thanks.
Considering that your specific goal is to be faculty member at a top US school, you probably should go to the best US med school you can. You'll get a head start on the massive networking you'll need to do to achieve that goal, not to mention the immigration question. I forget whose catch phrase this is (apologies), but it's a good one: go to school in the country where you plan to live and work.

I'm not saying this just because I don't like people getting subsidized med school here and then taking their talents to the US... it's true, I don't, but when your goal is this lofty (faculty at top US school), you really should hit the ground running... the "ground" being U.S. soil.

My question to you: you're not in undergrad yet, according to your post, meaning you're in high school? If so, then please leave your options a little more open! The dream you have at 17 is not necessarily the dream you will have at 21, let alone 40. Go to U of T, enjoy it, and you might find that you prefer medical research, or maybe even something other than medicine entirely.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of the immigration issue.... Don't tell anyone...but I heard a rumour that if you jump the boarder now they're going to be giving citizenship out like candy... shhhh

:)

Hoomsy

hi,

sorry, but i don't seem to be allowed to post new threads, so i can only use a related thread.

But my question is...
I'm from vancouver and I just finished my undergrad at UBC and I am going into first year medicine. My interest is along the lines of radiology or nuclear medicine. My goal is to get into radiology residency at UBC. I was accepted into calgary and toronto...and i now have to decide where to go....so my questions are:

1) Would going into calgary or toronto (ie which school) give me a better chance of achieving my goal above?

2) Would having a summer to do research or electives in radiology be a relatively major advantage over Calgary?

3) would calgary or toronto have more spare time to do activities like research during the school year?

thanks