Should you work during pharmacy school (accelarated program)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metformin800

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently work as a tech at grocery chain. I am going to be attending MWU and program starts in june. I was wondering if i should continue working. I am kinda nervous about accelerated program so was initially thinking not to work for few quarters just to see how school goes then return to work. But my boss and lot of other pharmacists i work with has advised me against it, but know that they all went to 4 year traditional school so they don't have first hand experience with what's its like to be in 3 year fast paced program.

What do you guys think? And which chain pays good to interns?At my current job, pay is not that great. I know it will change but i don't think whole lot. I might be wrong though. I do plan to stick around with same chain throughout school and beyond if the pay is good.

Please share your thoughts, thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

During the first year- no do not work. The first year is when the MAJORITY of students either fail or even get held back a year. It happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR and u know what they all have in common? They all worked in addition to poor study methods. I am sure if one risk factor was taken out of the equation, they would have passed with a C. Also- GPA is important for residency considerations. They need to weed applications somehow, and GPA is an easy filter. There is no purpose to working during the first year of school. You can work once you are a second year student, which is what most of my classmates did. First year is where you learn to accommodate your priorities and your stress level is high because of the new environment. Don't put yourself on a path to failure or poor grades. You will be working for your whole life, but school is just a one time deal- don't screw it up.

Chain pay rate really depends on the district you are in. Generally, CVS pays the highest but you pay for it in sweat.

Reactions: 1 users
Drop out rates are huge in accelerated programs... don't put yourself at additional risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I work with interns from both 3-year and 4-year schools. My experience has always been that the 3-year students are generally under-prepared compared to the 4-year students. The difference is that the 4-year students have more time to work paid internships and assimilate information. Some 3-year students have been great, but I really think that paid intern experience is a huge bonus. If I have to pick between hiring 2 new graduates I will always pick the new graduate with paid intern experience. The only exception would be if I personally worked with an exceptionally bright intern that excelled at my rotation.

I attended a 3 year school and held 2 internships at the same time year round (hospital & retail). Just matched into a residency program as well. Definitely doable from the get go.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your response. How about just working 4 hour shift once/ week?

Last edited: