PhD/PsyD Should we care about "body psychology?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
What says SDN about somatic experiencing and sensorimotor psychotherapy which all seem to fall under the same guise as body psychotherapy? I've heard of people paying BIG BUCKS to travel to expensive cities to undergo trainings to be become certified in it. I was curious about the evidence so I spent exactly 93 seconds googling and skimming a few abstracts. There's some research out there on it, but it seems sparse. What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Bad.

Another way to somaticize symptoms. There’s some stupid Freud quote about making the unspoken into words or something; I haven’t read the collected works in a decade and he assisted suicided himself.

Ever notice the peeps seeking body psychologists for positive stuff? Me either.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, valid. I didn't even think about that!

Go visit the IG of the EDS community. Notice how their symptoms spontaneously resolve during nonverbal expression of emotion (e.g., dance, hiking)? Try that with a complete transaction spinal cord injury patient. Cause no amount of motivation is gonna cause them to break into an interpretative dance to whatever you kids are dancing to.

Go visit the IG of the EDS community. Notice how their symptoms spontaneously resolve during nonverbal expression of emotion (e.g., dance, hiking)? Try that with a complete transaction spinal cord injury patient. Cause no amount of motivation is gonna cause them to break into an interpretative dance to whatever you kids are dancing to.

*turns off the EDM and slumps away.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming that I'm correct in including them in this definition, a lot of the somatic-based treatments for trauma have absolutely no evidence behind them.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know of a good critical review? If not, that's cool. I was just curious.

Sorry, it's more of a lack of good research (or, in some cases, any research) that's the issue. Of course, unless you count EMDR, which is often promoted by the somatic trauma people. We just had that meta-analysis that demonstrated lower efficacy for EMDR than CBT approaches.

Sorry, it's more of a lack of good research (or, in some cases, any research) that's the issue. Of course, unless you count EMDR, which is often promoted by the somatic trauma people. We just had that meta-analysis that demonstrated lower efficacy for EMDR than CBT approaches.

I can't imagine why half-assed exposure therapy with pseudoscience thrown in didn't do as well...

Reactions: 4 users

Yeah, I was disappointed with the study designs and the fact the words "somatic experiencing" are trademarked is also telling. Also reminds me of the EMDR craze of 10 years ago. Lots of clinician enthusiasm, very little independent investigation.

What says SDN about somatic experiencing and sensorimotor psychotherapy which all seem to fall under the same guise as body psychotherapy? I've heard of people paying BIG BUCKS to travel to expensive cities to undergo trainings to be become certified in it. I was curious about the evidence so I spent exactly 93 seconds googling and skimming a few abstracts. There's some research out there on it, but it seems sparse. What are your thoughts?

Woo with a generous side of grift