Should I write American DAT given my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TitusstheDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would really appreciate any input you have!

I am doing my science undergrad in Canada. My GPA is around 3.85 (which I think gets boosted a bit when converted to americanGPA..)

I wrote cDAT and got:
Reading: 27
Bio: 22
Chem: 24
PAT: 20

I would like to go somewhere in the states for dental school, but unfortunately not all american schools accept the cDAT. I am really interesteed in the california schools (UCLA, UoP, USC) or anywhere hot really (UNLV, midwestern-AZ).. i cannot stand the snow!

On top of that I would really like to at least give myself a good shot at specializing if that ends up being something i want to do. So I am hoping to get some feedback about which schools I have a good chance of getting in to based on my stats and which ones you think are good for specializing (I know UCLA has high specialization rates, but does not look at cDAT, so I would have to write american DAT if you guys think its worth it) THANKS A LOT!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

What is the AA and TS of your DAT score?
You should make an account on AADSAS and punch in your grades. It'll take a bit of time, but will give you and us a better idea of the conversion. The boost varies, depending on what Canadian school.

Living in the USA and pondering a specialty are good reasons to go to american schools. But can you afford it? (ie. do you have someone who is willing to help you pay?)

Hi guys, I would really appreciate any input you have!

I am doing my science undergrad in Canada. My GPA is around 3.85 (which I think gets boosted a bit when converted to americanGPA..)

I wrote cDAT and got:
Reading: 27
Bio: 22
Chem: 24
PAT: 20

I would like to go somewhere in the states for dental school, but unfortunately not all american schools accept the cDAT. I am really interesteed in the california schools (UCLA, UoP, USC) or anywhere hot really (UNLV, midwestern-AZ).. i cannot stand the snow!

On top of that I would really like to at least give myself a good shot at specializing if that ends up being something i want to do. So I am hoping to get some feedback about which schools I have a good chance of getting in to based on my stats and which ones you think are good for specializing (I know UCLA has high specialization rates, but does not look at cDAT, so I would have to write american DAT if you guys think its worth it) THANKS A LOT!!! :D
Take American DAT
It looks like you will do well at American DAT
I don't know how strong you are with math but you shouldn't have problem and based on your score on Bio and Chem, you should score high on Org. Chem as well.
Good luck.