Medical Should I write about history minor in diversity essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a past post, someone discussed whether it would be worth it to talk about a history minor for the diversity essay. Goro advised against it but if I am able to tie this history minor to how it motivated me to work with a nonprofit that works with immigrant and refugee health, could I still talk about it? The history minor introduced me to a lot of topics I did not consider before such as social determinants of health and mistrust towards medical professionals in underserved populations. Thank you!
As someone who reads a lot of these essays (depending on the prompt), my impression is that you are avoiding the real purpose of the question and so I won't grade it that high.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the feedback! I just wanted to clarify that the history minor wasn't the main idea of my essay. I wanted to talk about how I grew up in an immigrant community so I took history classes/minor because I wanted to understand why there was such a deep mistrust in the community towards medical professionals. This led me to work at the nonprofit I mentioned. I became the president of a refugee/immigrant club. I'm also trying to start an organization that improves health literacy in underserved communities. Getting involved with this also helped me reconcile my different cultures because I understood my own culture more. Basically, taking the history classes and being an immigrant motivated me to want to work in underserved communities in the future. Would this work or should I just use this material somewhere else in the app?
You would really need to doctor this so that it screams why it makes you different. If you can do this, it may work. I would make sure you have it read by multiple sets of eyes though beforehand. Personally, I see this as kind of your "path to medicine" and "why medicine."

Status
Not open for further replies.