Should i work towards a second minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindseywlkr711

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year premed student majoring in biomedical sciences and have a minor in pysch. I am thinking about minoring in chemistry but is it worth it? Do med schools even look at minors? If i were to take up this second minor i would not be able to finish a semester early. My goal is to go to georgetown for med school! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A chem minor does not matter. They’re already making you take a ton of chem to apply. At many schools you pretty much automatically get a chem minor if you finish your premed requirements so I just don’t think this will add anything to your app unless you really want to take whatever classes to finish the minor

Reactions: 1 users
Also not spending tuition on an extra semester could come in handy when it comes to paying for med school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also not spending tuition on an extra semester could come in handy when it comes to paying for med school
Thank you! I was on the fence but if it doesnt matter much ill focus my energy on other things :)

I was in a similar predicament, I only needed one additional class to get a chem minor. I ended up deciding against it. I already had way too many credits and I ended up getting into medical school without doing so!

I am a second year premed student majoring in biomedical sciences and have a minor in pysch. I am thinking about minoring in chemistry but is it worth it? Do med schools even look at minors? If i were to take up this second minor i would not be able to finish a semester early. My goal is to go to georgetown for med school! Thanks
Med schools don't care about minors, but if it would make additional classes available to you that are exciting/you want to learn about, or moreso, if you need more credits to pull up your BCPM GPA and declaring the minor would give you better access to upper-level classes and an excuse to stay in college longer, then go for it. Alternatively, you can raise your GPA after graduation at a cheaper school, but if you're not a degree candidate, you will lose registration priority.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you not already have a chem minor from gen chem series, Ochem series and Biochem?

I was in a similar predicament, I only needed one additional class to get a chem minor. I ended up deciding against it. I already had way too many credits and I ended up getting into medical school without doing so!
thank you! credit-wise I am fine so I will not pursue this minor

Med schools don't care about minors, but if it would make additional classes available to you that are exciting/you want to learn about, or moreso, if you need more credits to pull up your BCPM GPA and declaring the minor would give you better access to upper-level classes and an excuse to stay in college longer, then go for it. Alternatively, you can raise your GPA after graduation at a cheaper school, but if you're not a degree candidate, you will lose registration priority.
Thank you for your advice! gpa is pretty good, could be better, I find chem interesting but not *too* good at it for it to be a grade booster. I am going to save time/money/energy and redirect it elsewhere :)

Would you not already have a chem minor from gen chem series, Ochem series and Biochem?
'
I only need 2 more classes unfortunatly gen chem is a "pre-req" for the minor and does not count towards it

Med schools dont care about majors much either. Bio majors with a psych minor dont matter.
I figured not, my undergrad now basically sets us up to have a minor and since I am only 2 classes away from a second one I was wondering if it was worth it to help in the application process a little, thank you though

Like for psych, psych 101 is a prerequisite for the minor it counts towards gen-ed credits but only the higher level classes are used for the minor (luckily my AP psych from high school fulfilled the pre-req)
At my school it’s just taking intro him serious and then 15 upper division chemistry Credits. And that’s actually how it is for most of the minors like psychology is take intro psych and developmental psych and then 15 credits of upper division psychology courses. There’s not really a planned minor it’s just how many courses can you throw in there

At my school it’s just taking intro him serious and then 15 upper division chemistry Credits. And that’s actually how it is for most of the minors like psychology is take intro psych and developmental psych and then 15 credits of upper division psychology courses. There’s not really a planned minor it’s just how many courses can you throw in there
I've talked to my advisor about it and I know my gen-chem doesn't count and I am just shy of the 15 credits I understand what you're saying though, but if minors don't matter I won't be worrying about it, thanks for the help though!

I've talked to my advisor about it and I know my gen-chem doesn't count and I am just shy of the 15 credits I understand what you're saying though, but if minors don't matter I won't be worrying about it, thanks for the help though!
oh yeah definitely! I was just thinking how weird it is that universities are so different to their academic policies. But yes you are correct what minors and even what what major you have don’t even matter. It really doesn’t even matter whether you have a bachelors of arts or bachelors in science. So long as you do well in the pre-Rex

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll add to the whole “minors don't matter.” Literally almost no one will care about it. I forget half the time that I even had a minor.

I got a minor because I was working towards a major in the area and changed majors, so I already did the work for the minor-may as well claim it right? Other than that, I think a good reason to declare minors is if you really want to learn something in a bit more (but not too much) depth and need a little structure to help guide/discipline you. Declaring something makes you a bit more accountable.

But the minor still won’t mean anything. Except to you, of course. And that shouldn’t be minimized.

Regardless, I would not delaying graduation to get a minor-if you can wrap things up early and save money (and have more free time), that’s pretty amazing.

I don't think having a minor title matters, but sometimes the classes you take help round you out as a person, if you're interested in doing that. For example, I minored in Human Rights, and although not a single medical school cared to ask me about it, the classes I took gave me new perspectives on different cultures, that I think will help me as a person and as a physician. So, no, minors don't really make a difference for getting into medical school. But they might just make you more well-rounded, and that was worth it for me.