Should I withdraw or get my **** together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vcentwin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I did relatively well first quarter of ochem (A), but this quarter, my midterm score is reaching around a C when curved (barely 50th percentile.)

NMR/IR just doesn't make sense to me at times, with all that coupling/peaks confusing the **** out of me. Mechanisms and rearrangements such as allylic substitution, diels alder, cope/claisen rearrangements are a piece of cake, but these graphs are the death of me Should I withdraw and retake during spring quarter? Could use more time to reevaluate study skills for NMR/IR/Mass Spec.

GPA atm: 3.45 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (I am a 2nd year, first quarter freshman year GPA 2.8, and I am trying to recover from that ever since.)

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I did relatively well first quarter of ochem (A), but this quarter, my midterm score is reaching around a C when curved (barely 50th percentile.)

NMR/IR just doesn't make sense to me at times, with all that coupling/peaks confusing the **** out of me. Mechanisms and rearrangements such as allylic substitution, diels alder, cope/claisen rearrangements are a piece of cake, but these graphs are the death of me Should I withdraw and retake during spring quarter? Could use more time to reevaluate study skills for NMR/IR/Mass Spec.

GPA atm: 3.45 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA (I am a 2nd year, first quarter freshman year GPA 2.8, and I am trying to recover from that ever since.)
This image should be about all you need to know for NMR. Study the ‘why’ in regards to shielding and nearby hydrogens as opposed to memorization at it will make a lot more sense.

IR, just be able to recognize the OH dip, an amide is in the same area as OH just steeper, an aldehyde has two spike just to the right of where OH goes, Carbonyl is at 1700, SP3 is around 1400ish, SP2 is around 19-2200 ish and SP is around 2600? It is just the same as NMR about shielding. It has been a year since I have done this stuff, but just memorizing those tidbits and some critical thinking is enough to do well on an NMR/IR exam.

Alternatively, do poorly in all of the instrumentation stuff, get a B in the class and kill OChem 3. NMR/IR is fairly low yield MCAT anyway.

Attachments

• E88E4121-E9BF-424A-85C2-249D89BC1441.png
    E88E4121-E9BF-424A-85C2-249D89BC1441.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 83
Reactions: 1 user

Unpopular opinion but take a withdraw grade if you don't see your grade improving soon. I also had to do massive grade repair due to freshman year so I know the feeling. In the meantime do your best hammering away at IR and NMR. Spend all the time you can in your TAs office hours.

Many universities have a one time late withdraw, so see if your school has that. If you don't see your grades improving then withdraw from that class and don't look back. As long as you don't have too many Ws on your transcript it is no issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't withdraw. The adcoms know a withdrawal means you were doing very poorly. I think you need to try to get the best grade you can. Orgo is the hardest premed course there is IMO.

A Withdraw into an A is better than just a single C. It means you knew it was time to bail. Plus it doesn’t drag your GPA down. It’s also a pre req so it’s best to have an A in it. Adcoms know orgo can be an adjustment, and if it’s your first W why not. Don’t truck through it if you think your grade isn’t realistically salvageable.

A Withdraw into an A is better than just a single C. It means you knew it was time to bail. Plus it doesn’t drag your GPA down. It’s also a pre req so it’s best to have an A in it. Adcoms know orgo can be an adjustment, and if it’s your first W why not. Don’t truck through it if you think your grade isn’t realistically salvageable.
that is the thing though, it's only concepts relating to interpreting NMR/IR. Reactions, rearrangements and mechanisms aren't bad at all. I can either hunker down and destroy my next exams, or I can cut my losses here. I would like to make a tactically-sound decision. A B+ wouldn't be too bad either.

that is the thing though, it's only concepts relating to interpreting NMR/IR. Reactions, rearrangements and mechanisms aren't bad at all. I can either hunker down and destroy my next exams, or I can cut my losses here. I would like to make a tactically-sound decision. A B+ wouldn't be too bad either.
The B+ is easy to get at this point. NNR/IR type stuff is only a third of the content. If you get 70% of this stuff and 100% of the other two thirds then that is an 89%. You are good.

The B+ is easy to get at this point. NNR/IR type stuff is only a third of the content. If you get 70% of this stuff and 100% of the other two thirds then that is an 89%. You are good.
70+100+100/3= 90 (assuming I get perfects on both exams, which isn't going to happen)

What's the curve ranges for the class?

What's the curve ranges for the class?
it's not really a curve, more like a grade cut-off.

85% gets you an A- in the class. Grade cut-offs: great if exam averages are high, but suck if they are low.

it's not really a curve, more like a grade cut-off.

85% gets you an A- in the class. Grade cut-offs: great if exam averages are high, but suck if they are low.
85% is an A-?! Then B+ should be Low 80s high 70s. You can do that easy peasy.

85% is an A-?! Then B+ should be Low 80s high 70s. You can do that easy peasy.
B+ is possible, and A- will require a bit of luck and monster focus to make-up for this deficiency. Fortune favors the bold, i guess

I feel that on a personal level man. That was the hardest part of organic chemistry for me too. cNMR and hNMR just break down the peaks and multiplicity. And IR use flashchards to memorize where different functional groups peak types/ locations exist. Definitely a tough decision, I would say look at the syllabus and break down to class. If there is no possible you could get that grade up to at least a B, then take the W and try again.