Should I wear a suit to a lunch with the program director?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I wear a suit?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdfamily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

To add, it is on an away rotation at a residency I'm interested in going to, and there will be other students present as well. Do I run the risk of overdressing in reference to my peers, or underdressing? No mention of dress code from the invitation.

Thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go dress pants, dress shirt, and tie. Wait in your car to see others walking in and if you are still overdressed, remove tie before entering lol. If you don't spot anyone, then just roll with it. If everyone else is dressed more casual you can always roll your sleeves up and loosen your tie for the meal.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

To add, it is on an away rotation at a residency I'm interested in going to, and there will be other students present as well. Do I run the risk of overdressing in reference to my peers, or underdressing? No mention of dress code from the invitation.

Thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated thanks.
The real question is what you would wear if you didn't wear the suit. Do you have well put together pant/shirt/tie/blazer combos and nice leather shoes? I think that could work, too, as long as you know what you're doing. Unless it's a standard interview, I always go with chinos or trousers, Brooks Brothers blue button-down oxford, classic tie (red or navy w/ subtle pattern or rep), nice wool jacket in navy or deep brown, and well-polished Allen Edmonds Cliftons, Park Avenues or Graysons. Catch is this outfit makes you look like a chump if the garments/shoes are of low quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody wore suits surprisingly. I wore a shirt and tie like I have everyday during the away rotation. I think I was safe that way. It might have looked a little awkward when if I were the only one who showed up in a suit. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
What you wear reflects respect for the interviewer. A simple navy blue Brooks Brothers suit with a white shirt and tie (subtle) is something 'other' people (peers) may not be wearing, but you'll be presenting yourself professionally in a suit that'll last. Get used to wearing suits…and shine your shoes! Argyle socks are a nice touch. Good luck -