should I wait?

kiddpac21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I have recently had a baby boy. I am hopefully about two yrs. away from being accepted to med school. My wife wants to have a second child in two yrs. so that our children can grow up together. When I go to med school though I will not be able to work which will force my wife to get a job (maybe even two). Being a good father and the sole provider for my family has always been a source of pride for me. Here are my questions. Should I wait to have a second child or should I wait to go to med school? Is it physically possible to be a good father/spouse in the midst of med school? Is there anything that I can do in the next two yrs. to ease the financial burden that my inability to work will place on my family? That's it. Much appreciation to anyone who can help.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would wait until you get through that first year of medical school and get adjusted to the way your lifestyle will change. I know that it is ideal to have your children close together, but the uncertainly of medical school schedule can make life a little challenging. I am the mother of two boys, and while I really had the same perspective about having my sons close together, my boys are not and it has worked out nicely. Whatever you do, just don't bite off more than you can chew. Have a plan & think things through. Waiting one more year is not going to be a big deal in the whole scheme of things and besides, think of it this way, it's one more year of potty training, so then, you won't be buying diapers left and right!!!

For what it's worth,
Christy :laugh:

yes I would wait for exactly the reason given above:)
the changes in yourself in that year are important too.