Should I try???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skjebne21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to this site. I realize that there are some of you here that don't enjoy the questions regarding "will I get in?" However, I'm at the point where I really need some honest advice. I'm currently trying to decide if I should change my major to biology and go for medical school. Here is my situation.
I'm a junior right now. My first two years of school were horrible in academics and personally. I know people will say that they suffered from this or that and bad grades were the result. In my case, it was TRUE. Yes, of course, it was my lack to get it together, make the right decisions, and have motivation. I'm not trying to make any excuses in that matter. I was NOT ready to attend college when I did, however, feel that it was good to go away for maturing reasons. My problem is that between the LONG process of maturing in my case, my health problems I have had, and more personal issues, I have NEVER applied myself in college academics. My transcript shows nothing of what I could accomplish. Yes, that may sound errogant of me. I'm not trying to sound that way in the slightest. IT's just TRUE.
Ok, sorry for this essay. Here is the deal. My GPA from the first two years is at 2.53 or so. Yes, awful. I kept changing majors as well. I have withdraws, and a few S/U vs. A-F grades. The worst part is that there is an F, and a few D's. Of course some C's. To make this more understandable, I wasn't going to class or studying (literally). I have A's and B's as well in some harder classes. Lately, my grades have changed back to A's and B's. I want to be in medicine, and it would take too much room to describe why and how much....won't bore you with that. I KNOW I can complete the biology degree reqs. with amazing grades, yes, I did say that because I know myself and what I was blessed with academically (and I'm not going to be afraid to say that). So, what would my chances be if I started biology right now, completed the major with outstanding grades in all of the sciences/math classes (I'm finished with the University Bac Core requirements already), scored really well on the MCAT (which I know is diff/partial luck), and had an impressive resume with unique and dedicated volunteer, etc.?????? Please help. Should I even try? At the same time, I should just give up though. Wouldn't the commitees at med schools recognize that my first two years at college weren't my actual ability, and see that I got things together? I would greatly appreciate any help...thank you. Oh, and I would think that I could get my GPA up to a 3.0...probably not much higher.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be very tough.

I would recommend applying to OHSU and just a few DO schools. If you don't get in, look for a post-bac program at a university with some special relation to a med school. There aren't any that I know of on the west coast, but alot of private schools back east.

If you're near PDX, reply to this thread and I can get you some info about a DO pre-med group here.

Also, any med school DO or MD, will want a VERY good explaination. Grade improvement alone won't be enough. You need some kind of major life change or event.

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps it would be best for you to major in the subject you find to be most enjoyable to you--getting into medical school does not require a biology or chem degree. since you're a junior and need some time to take more classes to pull your GPA up and solidly demonstrate your abilities in academics, i would suggest putting off the applications, and possibly even the MCAT (maybe take it in august this year or april of your senior year). delaying your application will help you really decide whether or not you want to go into medicine, allow you to establish relationships with people at community activities, do some research, get your grades together, and get yourself together.

you may also want to consider going to a graduate program in medical sciences right after college---a bunch of different med schools have these, and they're very helpful for a number of reasons.

don't give up, necessarily. if you really want to go into medicine, you can find the internal resources to do it. but do give yourself time to build your own confidence and your qualifications.

good luck.

I would give it a shot. I applied last year only to my state schools because I didn't think I had a shot out of state. This year I applied to a variety of schools and I ended up with quite a few interviews.

My only regret is that I listened to people who told me I didn't have much chance out side of my state. It was a bad move on my part and I'm kicking myself for thinking I could have been accepted last year instead of having to reapply again.

Yes, give it a shot.. though I would suggest spending another year as an undergrad and apply in your fourth year. As Supadupafly said, while your upward trend may get you noticed.. they will still want you to explain and be promptly blown away with your explanation.

I won't say it'll be easy.. it'll probably be tough as nail.. but it's happened before. Can you explain your grades, especially those D's and F's?

Originally posted by Skjebne21
I KNOW I can complete the biology degree reqs. with amazing grades, yes, I did say that because I know myself and what I was blessed with academically (and I'm not going to be afraid to say that).

It is good that you are confident in your abilities. But your ability is not the deciding factor; achievement is. You can be absolutely brilliant, but if you cannot get it together to finish a few years' worth of courses with decent grades, you need to consider a different career path.

I would suggest that you choose a degree program that is interesting to you for its own sake. Take the courses and demonstrate that you can indeed do well. Do volunteer or paid work that is interesting to you. Then step back and assess what you want to do with your life and whether becoming a physician is really the right thing for you.

Originally posted by MeowMix
It is good that you are confident in your abilities. But your ability is not the deciding factor; achievement is. You can be absolutely brilliant, but if you cannot get it together to finish a few years' worth of courses with decent grades, you need to consider a different career path.

Or different country for medical school. If all else fails but you're confident that you can do it and be good at it.. try one of the better Carib schools like SGU or Ross. Go there, kick ass on the boards and come back and be a neurosurgeon.

There are a couple main reasons why my grades were the way they were. The first is that I have been suffering from anorexia throughout all of college, and am currently recovering. The disorder took over my life. Another reason is that I wasn't ready for college. I didn't treat it seriously. My maturity had to develop. So, between coming out of anorexia and coming into maturity (also realizing what I wanted in life), my academic life had no chance. Now, most people would say an anorexic is a perfectionist, and I am. My high school grades were perfect. I also believe that the first time I didn't do well in a class during college (whether it be from concentrating on the anorexia or not taking the classes serious enough), I would give up, bc it wasn't perfect. I have now rid myself of that trait. Anyway, I'm wondering if the med schools would look down upon my experience with anorexia, or understand. Thank you for all the replies as well.

Well, that sure beats the hell out of my reasons. Medical reasons I'm sure they'll be understanding of. You just gotta weave that into your PS somehow.

There are a couple main reasons why my grades were the way they were. The first is that I have been suffering from anorexia throughout all of college, and am currently recovering. The disorder took over my life. Another reason is that I wasn't ready for college. I didn't treat it seriously. My maturity had to develop. So, between coming out of anorexia and coming into maturity (also realizing what I wanted in life), my academic life had no chance. Now, most people would say an anorexic is a perfectionist, and I am. My high school grades were perfect. I also believe that the first time I didn't do well in a class during college (whether it be from concentrating on the anorexia or not taking the classes serious enough), I would give up, bc it wasn't perfect. I have now rid myself of that trait. Anyway, I'm wondering if the med schools would look down upon my experience with anorexia, or understand. Thank you for all the replies as well.

i don't think they'll look down on it. can't remember where, but i do recall someone's having talked about her experience with anorexia in a personal statement, and she got in.
if you feel comfortable with that experience, i'd talk about it after having reflected on it for a while. being able to overcome such an obstacle is admirable, and you may even be stronger for it.

I also thought that for evidence of my disorder they would want a letter from my therapist (PhD). That way they know that it is truthful. What do you think? I'm not sure where that fits in the application process. :)

Going through anorexia is by far the most difficult obstacle I have had to overcome. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It has made me stronger and a better person in numerous ways.

couldn't tell you. maybe an extra letter to the committee? i'd ask your advisor on that one.

don't listen to the nay sayers. I was in a very similar situation as an undergrad. I was miserable, didn't know what to do with my life, and I have the grades to show for it. I struggled my way towards graduation, and by may of 2001, i thought i was done with school for good.
little did i knowat the time, but that feb, I decided to take a shot at medical school.
its nearly two years later, and I'm finishing up my prereqs. I did well in the weed-out classes, well on the mcat, and I'm getting ready to interview at five schools (one of which is top 20) I agree with the poster who said that you may need to relate a "major life change" though...I sure had one, and wrote about it on my app. i guess the point is, don't get discouraged. work like you've never worked before in your life, and you can do great things.
its like the saying goes "...shoot for the moon...even if you miss, you'll be among the stars"

I also thought that for evidence of my disorder they would want a letter from my therapist (PhD). That way they know that it is truthful. What do you think? I'm not sure where that fits in the application process. :)

If you do get a letter from your mental health provider, don't send it to schools. I had some bad times and have proof of it (parent's death certificate). None of my interviewers have questioned it though. My advisor did mention it in her letter, so maybe you should ask yours to do a sentence or two, relating your improvement to strength in overcoming obstacles.

There's no such thing as being unable to get into medical school. Sure you may not be able to get in when you want or go to the school that you want but you can always get in somewhere. Perhaps you'll have to go abroad and/or get a good MCAT score, but you'll get in. If you really want to go to a particular school location wise, or that is ranked highly, you may have to wait awhile and do something spectacular...like get a PhD and teach some component of med-school or do some research and make a breakthrough, like cure cancer. Hopefully, you won't have to do something so drastic though. Good luck.

Just from your post I tell that you have become a mature person and have learned from your past experiences. I'm sure it will come through in your personal statement and essays. There is no reason you shouldn't try if you are that dedicated to acheiving admission. If you can do really well academically for the next 2 years and on the MCAT, I really think you can do it. I have a differnent experience than you, but maybe it will give you hope. I was a fine arts major, so didn't have any undergrad science to show my ability. I took all my prereqs as a post bac, did really well, and now have an acceptance. I understand it's different than making up for a poor gpa, but I think if you can prove your dedication and ability in the next 2 years, you have a chance.:)

just for the sake of honest advice, please do not apply to d.o. school b/c you think that you won't get into m.d. school. first of all you need to make sure which school md/do you want to go to. ppl are always advising others to do d.o. as a last option, but that is bull. I think you should pull yourself together and get the necessary grades to apply. you can do anything you want when you want it bad enough! never give up on yourself, b/c you will regret it one day. remember, anything worth having is worth fighting for!:) :) p.s. if you really want to go d.o., know some history of the osteo philosophy.

You can definately get it together. If you start studying harder and as you say pull your overall GPA over a 3.0. In order to prove to adcoms that it was your experiences at the time keeping you back i suggest you retake some of the courses that you failed.

Try taking courses that are of interest to you as well.

You also need to have ALL ELSE stellar on your application. LOR, ECs etc.

A great thing that you could do is get a leadership position in a group to help raise awareness for anorexia or something similar.

If you are really set out to become a doctor and as you say you have matured then you are not going to fail. If you fail the first time around then try doing a post bac and apply a 2nd time.

Best of luck!

Wow, while I was reading your posts I had to double-check just to make sure I didn't write them myself! :) My experience parallels yours so close, it's scary. Dealing w/ anorexia and its treatments in college, getting a horrible gpa because of it and because of all the issues surrounding the disease, switching majors my junior year to biology.....I did not mention the anorexia in my PS because I was afraid that schools would look down on me - there is still a huge stigma about it: will they assume that I can never really be "cured" of it and that since med school is so much pressure would I return to the disease? I haven't told my pre-med advisor about it, either. Maybe I should....it explains a lot. I am now completely recovered, have been for a couple of years now.

I did apply to med schools right out of college and interviewed, but didn't get in. That was 2 years ago. Since then I've improved my application dramatically by switching jobs to a related field, doing better on the MCAT than before, and becoming involved in amazing med. community service. I will re-apply next summer, aiming for a shot at the class of 2009.

Good luck to you!