Should I transfer my AP credit?

gymhaze58

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrite, background info: im a high school senior with a 5.4 weighted GPA on the 5.0 scale. Im going to Loyola next year as a Biology major and doing the pre-med program. I know that to get accepted into med school, you need nearly straight A's in all your science classes. That being said, my question is this: should i send the results of my AP Bio test to my college? ive gotten straight A's in both my anatomy and AP biology classes, and am pretty confident in being able to get the 4 or 5 on the test necessary for college credit. BUT, i need those A's in the sciences in college, so should i send them my score and place into 200 level classes, which will be harder and less likely for me to get an A in? or should i not send it and get great grades on my freshman bio courses, since it will be review for me

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really surprised they're giving you credit for anything, one thing they don't tell you often is that as a Bio major, the credit from AP Bio does absolutely nothing in most cases. I got a 4 and all I got was 6 units of elective credit, no class credit or anything. I know many colleges do this because they still want you to take their general biology majors classes because they're more in depth.

In your case I would recommend taking the higher level classes, because oddly enough, other than biochem, I found that upper division bio classes were easier to do well in, plus they're more interesting, and it will give you more time to do other things such as recommended classes or research. Up to you though, but there was a big thread about how you should retake classes you did the AP credit for this past week in the HS forum, maybe read that for some advice.

This depends on you and your mastery of Bio. I think that if you get a 5, and you found the test to be very easy, then you could send it and take a bio 200 course...if not..maybe you want to trnasfer it, ask them to use it as elective credits (like i did for calc) and take Bio intro again.

If you think that Biology is not challenging to you at all and you don't feel like you need to take Intro Bio and review or whatever, then send your score. If you'd rather review the information---it is very important after all---then don't. I, personally, would take it even if I understood it very well.