Should I tell my boss I am applying to medical school? Want a LOR from her

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clydetheorangeghost

Reaction score
I am currently working full-time as a research coordinator, my PI/boss is an MD at a T20 medical school. When I interviewed for this job in December 2021, I originally was not planning on applying to medical school because I was finishing up grad school and wanted to take a break. Well, I ended up doing way better than I expected on my MCAT and decided to shoot my shot. During the interview, she did ask what my future plans were and I when I mentioned eventually applying to medical school, she was very supportive. Now that I am planning on applying, I would really like a LOR from her. I'm worried that disclosing my plan to apply and asking her for a LOR would affect our working relationship because it might seem like I am not dedicated to my job and that I mislead her during the interview. I really like my boss and I admire her so much, the last thing I would want is to make things awkward. She's the only physician I have to ask for a LOR, I contacted the physician I shadowed pre-COVID but it's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from them. The physician letter is the last thing I need. I would appreciate any advice!

EDIT: I'm more or less finished with my applications (editing currently). The only thing I still need is a physician LOR since a majority of DO schools require it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I interviewed for this job in December 2021, I originally was not planning on applying to medical school because I was finishing up grad school and wanted to take a break. Well, I ended up doing way better than I expected on my MCAT and decided to shoot my shot.

Why not just tell her what you told us? Plans/circumstances can change, and reasonable people recognize this.

Reactions: 2 users
Why not just tell her what you told us? Plans/circumstances can change, and reasonable people recognize this.
Because plans didn't really change. OP interviewed in December, and, in the intervening 5 months, studied for the MCAT, took it, got the score back, and has "more or less finished" an AMCAS application. Nothing changed, other than OP possibly needing a LOR from the PI, so I see how it's possible the PI might feel misled. OP was always applying to med school, this cycle, pending that MCAT score.

That said, the PI WAS supportive, and OP will be there for at least another year, so I don't think the PI will be bent out of shape that "eventually" is actually "now." In any event, if OP needs that letter and the other doctor doesn't come through, OP doesn't really have a choice. If the PI does react negatively, the LOR will be useless, and OP might need to find another job.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because plans didn't really change. OP interviewed in December, and, in the intervening 5 months, studied for the MCAT, took it, got the score back, and has "more or less finished" an AMCAS application. Nothing changed, other than OP possibly needing a LOR from the PI, so I see how it's possible the PI might feel misled. OP was always applying to med school, this cycle, pending that MCAT score.

That said, the PI WAS supportive, and OP will be there for at least another year, so I don't think the PI will be bent out of shape that "eventually" is actually "now." In any event, if OP needs that letter and the other doctor doesn't come through, OP doesn't really have a choice.

OP changed their mind. It happens. They were forthcoming in the interview about leaving for medical school at some unspecified point in the future, and the MD was completely fine with this at the time. Unless OP said "I commit to working X number of years on your projects" upon hire, there is no reason to expect that the MD will feel misled and allow it to harm their working relationship. This is not a big deal.

Reactions: 1 users
OP changed their mind. It happens. They were forthcoming in the interview about leaving for medical school at some unspecified point in the future, and the MD was completely fine with this at the time. Unless OP said "I commit to working X number of years on your projects" upon hire, there is no reason to expect that the MD will feel misled and allow it to harm their working relationship. This is not a big deal.
Agreed that it's very likely not a big deal. Respectfully disagree that OP changed their mind, if they were able to prepare for, take and receive the score back for the MCAT in around 4 months. It looks like they were in the process of getting ready to apply, while not disclosing that fact because they did not want to plant the seed that they were not fully committed to the job.

We are splitting hairs because I agree that, if the PI was supportive, that they are not going to care. I'm just saying that I see how OP might have a valid concern that the PI might feel misled, since a lot happened in the past 5 months that indicate that nothing really changed other than the OP needing to tell the PI now, rather than next year, because the other LOR looks like it fell through.

For some clarification, I never committed a certain number of years and my boss never expected me to commit to an X amount of years. During the interview, she said that she doesn't expect me here forever and expects me to move forward before asking the future plans question. Rather than my plans changing, it's probably more apt to say they pivoted.

reasonable people recognize this.
I had a bad experience with another PI who I interned with prior to this job. She was very upset I declined her full-time position for my current job. I was upfront about interviewing elsewhere and considering other options and never promised anything but she acted very unprofessional when she confronted me about my choices. I'm slightly traumatized over how she reacted which is part of the reason why I am cautious about asking my current boss. Granted, this other PI did not have a very welcoming personality. My boss used to be an adcom for residency applicants so I know she will be able to write be a really good letter and I don't think she will be vindictive, but I'm still nervous about talking to her.

If you need a letter, you will need to disclose that you are applying in the near future. If she has been supportive in the past, you have little reason to believe that won’t be the case moving forward.

As for that other PI, it sounds like that person has some personal issues they need to work through.

I had a bad experience with another PI who I interned with prior to this job. She was very upset I declined her full-time position for my current job. I was upfront about interviewing elsewhere and considering other options and never promised anything but she acted very unprofessional when she confronted me about my choices. I'm slightly traumatized over how she reacted which is part of the reason why I am cautious about asking my current boss. Granted, this other PI did not have a very welcoming personality. My boss used to be an adcom for residency applicants so I know she will be able to write be a really good letter and I don't think she will be vindictive, but I'm still nervous about talking to her.

I totally get it. I have had mostly good experiences with my PIs/professional supervisors, but I've also encountered a couple bad apples who acted exactly like the former PI you described. Fortunately, and as you've now seen, people tend to show their true colors early on. Most (normal) PIs want to see their students/proteges leave the nest and go on to achieve great things - your success reflects well on them, after all. I wouldn't be at all surprised if, given her background, she ends up being an ally for you in other ways during your application cycle. Don't stress, and good luck.

Reactions: 3 users