should i take time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M2 recently accepted into the MD/MPH program at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. I'm now faced with the dilemma of choosing when to complete the program. Here's the options I've been given:

1) take it on top of my medical curriculum: this worries me since I'm already in my second year and don't know how many extra classes I can handle. however, i'm required to practice in Kansas for 4 years after I graduate so that could be a good time to finish up my degree.

2) after my M2 year (this is what the dean highly recommends)

3) after my M3 year: the dean told me that this could cause awkwardness while interviewing for residency. something about them asking me about my clinical skills deteriorating due to taking time off. who knows?

My bf is in the same year as me, and I would love to make it through clinicals and match with him. But then again, I want to actually take the time to learn and experiene the MPH material instead of just flying through it on top of my other studies.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want an MPH during medical school doing it after M2 and step 1 is your best choice. I would not do it after M3.

Also, what residency do you plan to do? If it is not something like GS, you might be able to do the MPH during residency.

AMMD said:
If you want an MPH during medical school doing it after M2 and step 1 is your best choice. I would not do it after M3.

Also, what residency do you plan to do? If it is not something like GS, you might be able to do the MPH during residency.

I'm thinking emergency medicine or family practice. 2 completely different options, but I can see myself pursuing both of them. would i have time for an mph on top of either of those?