Should I take this p-time job while MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayothen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in dire need of money, but I want to start my EMT job already! I'll be working part time and probably starting late or mid February. My MCAT is May 6th and I'm planning out my schedule currently. I feel like working and studying with this much time is doable and will help keep me focused, but I'm still not sure seeing as that my shifts are 12/24/48 hrs. Does anyone have any experience with working and MCAT studying?

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't recommend you pick up this job especially since you are not in need of money. you should focus your efforts on studying properly for the exam so that you only have to take it once. this job will tire you out and you wouldn't be able to study effectively.

I've worked on an ambulance for 3 years and now that I've begun studying, I high recommend against doing both simultaneously. You'll have days with no jobs and days packed with jobs and the latter are the ones that really test your patience. Thinking about getting off exactly at your scheduled time so you can study? Tell that to the drunk homeless man who you're picking up for the 50th time this month. Thinking about sitting down to study a bit while on call? Good luck while doing that and driving on your 6 hour transfer across the state!

A part-time job and studying should align fine as long as you manage your time well but what I'm trying to say is that in EMS, YOU don't manage your time - your patients do.

Reactions: 1 user
I was working a full-time job in the ER when I decided to retake the MCAT. Working 4 shifts a week was brutal when it came to trying to study, so I switched to part time (2 times a week). My test is April 23rd. From when I started studying, I had 145 days to study. Currently, I am doing fine studying and working my part time job but honestly it is a real drag sometimes and can stress you out when you need more time to study. I would say it is very possible to do both since you don't take you test until May. It would be a lot easier if you just focused on the MCAT though (and probably better for you long-run interests).

It should also be noted that I request overnight shifts at an ER where there's a very small population, so I usually get about 5 hours of studying done DURING my work (normally I work smack dab in the middle of a major city in Texas with a 120 room ER. No studying can get done there ha.) Basically, I have a scenario where I can study and work at the same time, so keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I'll be working part-time 12 hr shifts (weekends) and taking a full load of classes this Spring semester. I am off Fridays from school and work so I'm planning to dedicate all my time to studying for the MCAT. I'll be taking biochem this semester and I'll just have to study for the class and for the MCAT simultaneously. I know it's hard but we just gotta manage our time and prioritize wisely.

MY QUESTION IS IF ANYONE HAS ACTUALLY DONE WELL WITH PART-TIME JOB???

A part time job = roughly 20 hours a week..... There are 168 hours in a week.... so 148 hours that you are not working... Plus lets say you sleep 8 hours a night, so another 56 hours... that puts you at 92 available hours a week that you can study. I think that if you can't manage studying while working a "part-time" job then there is something wrong with your work-ethic/dedication/priorities

A part time job = roughly 20 hours a week..... There are 168 hours in a week.... so 148 hours that you are not working... Plus lets say you sleep 8 hours a night, so another 56 hours... that puts you at 92 available hours a week that you can study. I think that if you can't manage studying while working a "part-time" job then there is something wrong with your work-ethic/dedication/priorities
My part-time job is 24 hrs a week.....168 per week.........144 hours I am not working. With 8 hours of sleep I'm left with 88 hours but I also am taking a full load of classes and independent research hours. Also, volunteering and maybe start shadowing. I'm taking 18 units 5 of which include independent research units.

****KK! when you do some math like this I might not have anytime to study :dead: What was I thinking...

My hours would probably be 20-36 a week. I'm just thinking about how physically and mentally exhausted I'll be, and seeing that with overnight shifts you can't really plan to study 4 hours a day. I'm going to have to cram the studying for other days into the days I have off. But yea, I'm going back and forth on this.

Days you work, you will definitely not want to study. If you force yourself to study, you will not retain information as well. If I were you, I'd just study for the MCAT. In all honesty, the single most important thing for your acceptance to medical school is MCAT. You're job as an EMS will not be nearly as important a good MCAT. I have had other's in the ER who have applied to medical school and they said almost none of their interviews asked them about their experience in the ER. However, he got a 39 on the MCAT so he received a lot of interviews.

My opinion: play it safe. MCAT is more important. Focus on that.

You can always pick up an experience job after you take the MCAT. You will have multiple months to gain experience between finishing the MCAT and going to interviews. You can talk about your gained experience with them then.

My hours would probably be 20-36 a week. I'm just thinking about how physically and mentally exhausted I'll be, and seeing that with overnight shifts you can't really plan to study 4 hours a day. I'm going to have to cram the studying for other days into the days I have off. But yea, I'm going back and forth on this.
Oh bro once I'm done with my 12 hr shift, I don't even have the energy to watch netflix and relax in bed. I take a shower and fall right asleep.