Should I take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Actualize

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sci 3.4gpa cum:3.3gpa

5 yrs as pharmacy tech

I have been reading everyone’s blog for months now and honestly it is overwhelming. I am a non-traditional student; I don’t have any degree and no experience in research. Just a first generation immigrant without much direction, took me 10 years of stumbling to realize that I want to peruse med school….I have one C and two F’s that has brought my gpa down, will be completing my BS next year from a state school. Goal is to take the MCAT sometime in June of 2013 and wondering if my credentials are competitive enough to invest the time and money in such an endeavor….currently looking for a research position as well as volunteer position….any advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

5 yrs as pharmacy tech

I have been reading everyone’s blog for months now and honestly it is overwhelming. I am a non-traditional student; I don’t have any degree and no experience in research. Just a first generation immigrant without much direction, took me 10 years of stumbling to realize that I want to peruse med school….I have one C and two F’s that has brought my gpa down, will be completing my BS next year from a state school. Goal is to take the MCAT sometime in June of 2013 and wondering if my credentials are competitive enough to invest the time and money in such an endeavor….currently looking for a research position as well as volunteer position….any advice would be appreciated

Yes

5 yrs as pharmacy tech

What are those Fs in? Consider retaking them if you can manage it.

If they're med school pre-reqs, you don't have a choice.

Still, your GPA is a bit better than mine :)

Members don't see this ad :)

5 yrs as pharmacy tech

Yea re-take those and if you can get a decent score on the mcat you definitely have a shot. Even if you have a low score around mid 26 ish, you will still have a shot at DO after you re-take the two classes that you got an F in.

No F in pre-reqs or any science classes....retook both the classes got A's in both. Any suggestions about research opportunities, professors at my university won't allow me to work in their lab bc i am not a biology or environmental science major....thank you so much for responding to the post as well as increasing my confidence....