Should I take the MCAT this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you get this post all the time but I'm in kind of a dilemma. I was planning on taking the MCAT this summer although I really haven't started studying and I also haven't taken bio II (only bio I in which I got an A but really didn't feel like I learned anything), after talking to some friends who have already taken the test they said this shouldn't be a problem as long as I studied my butt off... However when I told my pre-med advisor she made this sound like a horrible decision, especially since I will only have weekends and evenings to study since I'm holding a job this summer as well. I really don't want to take the MCAT next spring as I will be extremely busy with involvments, research, volunteering, and a few tough ChE courses. I guess my question is would it be wise to take the MCAT without having taken bio II and not having studied yet (I will be enrolling in Kaplan if that makes any difference...)? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You *MIGHT* be able to get a moderately good score without more bio classes. MAYBE.

Seriously, I recommend taking Genetics and Physiology before the MCAT. They aren't absolutely required, I know people who did really well without either, but they'll make your life easier.

Also, an introductory Biochemistry course would be helpful. Not necessary, but helpful.

UseUrHeadFred said:
You *MIGHT* be able to get a moderately good score without more bio classes. MAYBE.

Seriously, I recommend taking Genetics and Physiology before the MCAT. They aren't absolutely required, I know people who did really well without either, but they'll make your life easier.

Also, an introductory Biochemistry course would be helpful. Not necessary, but helpful.

Agreed! I have taken all the courses listed by useurheadfred and they made the MCAT bio SO much easier