Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawibo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore, and am planning to apply for 2024 matriculation, meaning I would not take a gap year. I don't currently have any clinical experience, however I will soon start volunteering in a hospice, and I plan on spending this summer volunteering in a hospital and shadowing to gain clinical experience. I go to school in a different state, so continuous clinical experience is very tough to come by. My school also highly recommends taking a gap year, and only like 2 people applied straight through this cycle. I want to know if I should plan on taking a gap year, or if my current path will get me enough hours to apply without a gap year. Here is some more information about me:

3.98 GPA (4.0 sGPA) at top liberal arts school

Neuroscience major

Ohio resident

Research in a physical chemistry lab, have a poster and a publication (~600 hours)

VP of Bioethics Society (~75 hours)

Volunteer working with local developmentally disabled adults (~50 hours)

Peer tutor in chemistry (just started, ~15 hours)

Ultimate frisbee player (~500 hours)

Also play disc golf and chess as hobbies if that matters.

I can get 50+ shadowing hours with a neurosurgeon this summer, and I am applying to hospitals for volunteering (clinical job search isn't going well because they require a long commitment). Does anyone have recommendations for how I can get more clinical experience, or thoughts on whether I should plan on taking a gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, how many clinical hours would you recommend aiming for to apply straight through?

Thread moved to appropriate forums.

It would be advisable to focus on doing well in courses, gaining clinical experience that allows you to see if medicine is right for you, shadowing other specialties (you don't need 50+ with one neurosurgeon if you have limited time), and continuing your non-clinical volunteering.

You still have to study for and take the MCAT. A gap year would provide you more flexibility and give you more time to do these things.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the clinical hours, a good MCAT and some more volunteering hours before this time next year I don't see why you'd have to take a gap year

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore, and am planning to apply for 2024 matriculation, meaning I would not take a gap year. I don't currently have any clinical experience, however I will soon start volunteering in a hospice, and I plan on spending this summer volunteering in a hospital and shadowing to gain clinical experience. I go to school in a different state, so continuous clinical experience is very tough to come by. My school also highly recommends taking a gap year, and only like 2 people applied straight through this cycle. I want to know if I should plan on taking a gap year, or if my current path will get me enough hours to apply without a gap year. Here is some more information about me:

Neuroscience major

Ohio resident

Research in a physical chemistry lab, have a poster and a publication (~600 hours)

I can get 50+ shadowing hours with a neurosurgeon this summer, and I am applying to hospitals for volunteering (clinical job search isn't going well because they require a long commitment). Does anyone have recommendations for how I can get more clinical experience, or thoughts on whether I should plan on taking a gap year?
When do you plan to take the MCAT?

If you were one of my advisees, my question would be why are you trying to decide this now? Is there something you would do differently this summer / next Fall if you decide to take a gap year vs. not?

It seems like you're potentially on course to apply as a Junior, but you don't really need to decide until about this time next year whether to pull the trigger or hold off, depending on where you are at that point.

Reactions: 1 users
Always take a gap year. Find a job, engage in a hobby or some personal interest. Med school and residency is a 7-10 year grid. Give yourself the opportunity to enjoy your 20s. Remember, not every choice you need to make right now needs to be about your application.

I plan to take it next January, but if I'm not prepared enough then probably March.
You want to maintain your stellar GPA and get the best MCAT you can. Preparing for the MCAT is like having another class or a part-time job. So on top of your current schedule and responsibilities do you really want to add another class or significant time commitment? Can you do so and maintain your GPA while getting the great MCAT? If the answer to these questions is "yes," you can apply at the end of your junior year. If the answer is "no," then take a gap year.

If you take the MCAT at the end of the summer between your junior and senior years you can devote significant time over the summer to MCAT prep and you can also spread out some of the volunteering over the four years of college and even into the gap year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thread moved to appropriate forums.

It would be advisable to focus on doing well in courses, gaining clinical experience that allows you to see if medicine is right for you, shadowing other specialties (you don't need 50+ with one neurosurgeon if you have limited time), and continuing your non-clinical volunteering.

You still have to study for and take the MCAT. A gap year would provide you more flexibility and give you more time to do these things.
I agree with the above plus some liberal arts schools have relationships with medical schools that allow you to apply for early admittance and skip the MCAT. Something to consider but this approach also has its pros/cons. I personally do not recommend a gap year. It is hard to get accepted to medical school so the sooner you can get in, the better. However, don't take the MCAT if you are not prepared as low scores can be difficult to overcome. Many people end up with a gap year due to the MCAT challenge.

Hello,

Neuroscience major

Ohio resident

With those stats you are a highly qualified Md applicant in state!

Stats are great, but I would want to see more clinical exposure, shadowing, and nonclinical volunteering before you apply. Keep up that volunteer work!

You’re in good shape to apply right away if you want. For some specialties, I think this makes the most sense. For example, if you matriculate in mid 20s you may feel age pressure that pushes you away from neurosurgery, gen surg (bunch of 7 year programs now) + fellowship, etc