Veterinary Should I take a gap year to gain more diverse experiences or apply this cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My VMCAS application is almost complete and I plan on applying to 5 schools for fall 2021 entry (all of which do not require/consider the GRE). I am starting to wonder if it is worth applying this cycle because I was unable to gain diverse experiences this summer due to covid-19. Based on my background and experiences listed below, would it be wise to gain more diverse vet experiences and apply for fall entry 2022 instead? Thanks in advance.

academics/experiences:

- I graduated this year with a 3.78 GPA (biology major with a concentration in molecular cell physiology, minor in statistics).
- I have 3 years of research experience in a evolutionary biology lab (focused on environmental adaptation in house mice).
-I have about 800 hours of vet experience working in a vivarium at my undergraduate university (I was first a lab animal technician assistant but I have moved up to lab animal technician). The vivarium is supervised by both a lab animal veterinarian and research scientist.
-Before I gained interest in lab animal medicine, I shadowed at a small animal hospital for only about 50 hours over a winter break. I also took a statistical consulting course during my sophomore year and my client was a veterinarian.
-I also have about 50 hours of animal experience from volunteering at an animal shelter.
-I was hired as a school of science peer mentor at my university during my junior year, and moved up to become the coordinator for the peer mentor leadership team during my senior year.
- I was secretary and then moved up to vice president of Next Generation Science Club at my university.
~300 total volunteer hours

honors:
-graduated with biology departmental honors (thesis
-alpha epsilon delta honor society
-historian of tribeta honor society
-school of science travel grant
-tribeta honor society research grant
-chi eta chapter (for tribeta honor society) excellence award
-phi eta sigma honor society
-research excellence award (distributed by the biology department at my university)
-participated in summer scholars program at my university
-3rd place presentation award in environmental biology at MACUB conference 2019
You should contact a few veterinary schools on your list on whether you have "enough" experience. They should be able to give you some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.