Should I Take a Gap Year Before Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most students (44.8%) who took gap years did so for one to two years, 15.2% did so for three to four years, and 8.5% did so for five or more years. Clearly, the takeaway from this study is that more medical students who were accepted for 2021 admission took gap years than those who did not, and most gap years were brief – one or two years.

Reasons to take a gap year before medical school​

Rather than fretting about whether to take a gap year, you should determine what would turn a gap year into a growth year for you – and then plan accordingly. Many premed students use the gap year to work on improving what they see as their weakest application credential. A gap year gives you the opportunity to retake the MCAT, enroll in a postbac program to improve your GPA, volunteer, or gain clinical exposure. During a gap year, some premed students become EMTs. Others work to save up money, in an attempt to decrease their future medical school debt, while volunteering or performing community service. Others conduct research or engage in medical mission opportunities abroad to bolster their experience with diverse populations and global health.

Should I take a gap year before medical school?​

Clearly, the admissions committees do not look down on gap years. As I noted earlier in this post, in 2021, most accepted med school students reported having taken one or more gap years. Here is the catch: whatever you do during your gap year needs to make sense for you – as a future doctor. What you do during the gap year should seem organically right. For some people, that means staying practical – “What do I need to do?”

For others, what to do during a gap year means being inspirational – “What else do I intuitively feel will facilitate my growth as a person and/or a future doctor? Take care of an ailing family member? Get a certification in acupuncture? Study Latin?”

And for still others, what to do during a gap year means being aspirational – “What else can I do to achieve my goal of becoming a doctor, something that in the end serves humanity and would grow my humility? Should I go on an international trip to service the health needs of people in a country/culture other than mine, or who speak a different language? Should I gain more community service or research opportunities? Should I attend a postbac program or retake the MCAT?”

Whatever you decide makes sense for you, consider speaking with your premed advisor to discuss their recommendations for ways to boost your candidacy. As tempting as it might be to take a gap year to give yourself a chance to reset or rest, or take a break from academia, or go on an overdue vacation with family or friends, do not “underwhelm” the admissions committee with minimal professional commitments during this time. You must demonstrate that you spent your gap year(s) well, working to improve your candidacy, growth, achievements, and experience, with full dedication.

Addressing the gap year in your med school application​

Medical schools ask applicants to explain what they did during their gap year. So, it is a good idea to take notes about your experiences, and take the time to write up these experiences mindfully, making connections between challenges and growth. In the end, you will need to articulate these experiences, either in writing or in person. Practice writing about your experiences. Show how your gap year was time well spent and full of growth. Explain how the experiences you had during that time changed you and have made you a great medical school applicant and future physician.

Also, if you have any ambivalence about becoming a doctor, taking a gap year or two makes perfect sense. Medical students who suffer a change of heart professionally find themselves unhappy and stressed. Research shows that they demonstrate a progressive decline in empathy, which is a red flag. Should they drop out of medical school, they often do so with sizable debt. So take your personal inventory. Examine the reasons you want to be a doctor. Should you need to take time to figure out whether this path is truly the right one for you, be sure to do so before applying. Take a gap year or two to explore your commitment to medicine, patient care, leadership, motivation, dedication, and compassion for the profession.

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.

Members don't see this ad.