Should I switch from tax-free to tax for retirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daphne7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have a decent bit of money in my 401k saved up due to working with my current employer. However, I will be attending medical school in the fall. Considering that it is more than likely that I will be in a higher tax bracket in the future as an attending, and considering that wages YoY generally tend to increase, I was wondering if there was a purpose in me converting from a 401k(tax-free) to a roth ira. Would that make sense at all? What would be the pros and cons of each? Wanted to make sure I had every angle covered. Thanks for the help.

Best,
Daphne

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on if you can handle the tax bill from the conversion. Its a great way to pay a lower tax rate on that money then you will in retirement, but you need to cash on hand to pay the tax bill when you file.

Wait until the tax year after you last worked to convert some. Do a calculation to avoid having to pay any tax and stay under the standard deduction.

I see. I think I will convert next year then. Thank you both so much for your helps!