Should I submit my application without MCAT or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgitms786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cGPA is 3.648 and my BCPM GPA is 3.444.

I know I am not where I should be for MD schools, but I want to apply anyways to both MD & DO schools. I have a lot of extracurricals (clinical experience, volunteer work, leadership, charity work etc).

I am taking my MCAT this July/August.

Is it bad to try and apply to MD schools even if I know I may not get in? What I mean is, with my low GPA and non-existent MCAT, I know I may be rejected. Will it look bad if I reapply to the same school next year?

Also, Should I submit my app as soon as June comes along or wait until my MCAT score is in? I plan on getting a 30+.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA is 3.648 and my BCPM GPA is 3.444.

I know I am not where I should be for MD schools, but I want to apply anyways to both MD & DO schools. I have a lot of extracurricals (clinical experience, volunteer work, leadership, charity work etc).

I am taking my MCAT this July/August.

Is it bad to try and apply to MD schools even if I know I may not get in? What I mean is, with my low GPA and non-existent MCAT, I know I may be rejected. Will it look bad if I reapply to the same school next year?

Also, Should I submit my app as soon as June comes along or wait until my MCAT score is in? I plan on getting a 30+.

Thanks!

Your application will not even be reviewed without a MCAT score.

Yes!! Submit your application before you have your MCAT score. I submitted mine on June 1st last year and didn't take the test until July 6th. It will give AMCAS time to sort through your transcripts and verify you. If you wait until after your scores, it will take up to 8 weeks to get that done because it will be so late in the season. It will be very late to start getting your secondaries.
I applied to 14 schools and got 12 secondaries before I even took the test. I worked on them when I needed a break from studying. It's good to get a headstart.
As soon as your scores are released, they are automatically uploaded to your application and schools get them within a couple days. AMCAS sends updates for you.
Sooner is always better in the application cycle. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user