Should I still try to go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R0x0r Mc0wnage

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 25 years old and at a major crossroad. My top career choice has always been medicine, but I have allowed myself to get so badly derailed that it may no longer be realistic. My story is that I graduated from high school a year late (then having nothing in the way of ambition) and then spent three years in community college while working to support myself. I finally started at university when I was 23, but dropped out during my first semester when everything went to ****, and what followed that was the worst two years of my life. Family, finances, health, jail; everything that could have gone wrong, did. Now, at 25, all of those personal problems are finally resolved, and I'm legitimately capable of proceeding with life. The problem being that I'm now as old as dirt, still have 2-3 years left of undergrad if I expect to get into med school, and will be damned near 40 by the time I finished residency. All of which of course means that I will spend the rest of my young adulthood broke as f***. Does it even make sense to pursue medicine at this point, or should I accept that I've missed the bus on that and settle for a lesser career?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"old as dirt" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh honey. Age is not on the top 10 list of things you need to worry about.

Go get a bachelors degree in something that interests you, and get REALLY REALLY good grades. There's no getting around this first objective.

Best of luck to you.

I'm 25 years old and at a major crossroad. My top career choice has always been medicine, but I have allowed myself to get so badly derailed that it may no longer be realistic. My story is that I graduated from high school a year late (then having nothing in the way of ambition) and then spent three years in community college while working to support myself. I finally started at university when I was 23, but dropped out during my first semester when everything went to ****, and what followed that was the worst two years of my life. Family, finances, health, jail; everything that could have gone wrong, did. Now, at 25, all of those personal problems are finally resolved, and I'm legitimately capable of proceeding with life. The problem being that I'm now as old as dirt, still have 2-3 years left of undergrad if I expect to get into med school, and will be damned near 40 by the time I finished residency. All of which of course means that I will spend the rest of my young adulthood broke as f***. Does it even make sense to pursue medicine at this point, or should I accept that I've missed the bus on that and settle for a lesser career?

You're making a lot of assumptions. Take a couple semesters of chemistry while you're doing something else. See if you can stomach a taste of this path. It's not for most people.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're making a lot of assumptions. Take a couple semesters of chemistry while you're doing something else. See if you can stomach a taste of this path. It's not for most people.
What he said.

You're psyching yourself out before you've even started? Why?

I have already fulfilled the chemistry requirements for med school and my ability to qualify academically is not in question; it's my timeline that's ****ed up.

If your really all that worried about being older when you finish, consider physician assistant. Two years and you make a decent living and still can do quite a few procedures.

Justin

I have already fulfilled the chemistry requirements for med school and my ability to qualify academically is not in question; it's my timeline that's ****ed up.

You haven't spent much time in the non-trad forum, huh? Seriously, age 25 is still very young (and I'm only 28, yet still saying that). There are quite a few people here who don't even begin their journey until age 40.

If medicine is what you want to do and you can hack it academically, then don't let age hold you back. OK, so you're going to be 40 when you're done with residency? BFD. BTW, I won't be able to apply for at least another year, so I'll be pushing 40 myself, if applying is something I ultimately decide to do. Better to take your time and be sure of your choice than to rush into things and be disappointed or regretful later on.

The one thing I've learned is that this journey only gets logistically more difficult as a person gets older. If you want to do it, then start prepping now. Not that it's impossible to do it in 10 years time but it'll probably be harder. As I said, I'm barely 28 but things are already much more difficult than they were 5 years ago. . I'm married with 2 kids, a well-paying full-time job, and a mortgage. Part of me regrets not going for it before the kids and house and all my other life commitments. Sure, not everyone gets married or buys a house or has kids, but most people do at least one of those. It just ties you down an makes the decision to go to med school even harder.

So when you say you're going to be broke for many years to come, that may be true. But it might be true regardless of your decision to apply to med school. And if you're making a decent living now, then continue with that career until you've finished your undergrad and are ready to go to med school.

Ask yourself if you want to be "damn near 40" and a doctor, or "damn near 40" and not a doctor.

Your timeline isn't ****ed up, that's laughable. Really, you must be joking because you are young. You're going to graduate med school at (the latest) 32. Then who knows what kind of residency you're going to do. 3-8 years? You'll be 32 in seven years, priorities will change.

Ahhh, to be so young again... I'm sorry you ain't old if you think being 40 and ready to make attending salary for 25 years (a long healthy career) is a f***** up timeline. Only someone who is young would think up something silly like that.

I agree with the previous posts. Age is not only the least of your concerns, it really isn't a concern at all.

I'm now as.old as dirt. . . will be damned near 40 by the time I finished residency.

May want to work a bit on tact. Remember, you posted on a nontraditional student forum that is is read largely by, um, older students.

At 41, I don't really feel that old, other than not being able to run as fast or jump as high. I'm considering medical school after 15 years in another career. I may or may not be able to do it for practical reasons alluded to by a previous poster, so I would not advise that you wait as long as I did. However, by no means is it too late for you to become a physician.

If your really all that worried about being older when you finish, consider physician assistant. Two years and you make a decent living and still can do quite a few procedures.

Justin

Huge 2nd. My friend is a PA and went into it when he was older instead of doing MD. The job satisfaction is huge and he basically does everything the docs do. Plus he has a great quality of life.

Don't fall for the MD-trap. There are plenty of other ways to achieve a wonderful career in healthcare.

May want to work a bit on tact. Remember, you posted on a nontraditional student forum that is is read largely by, um, older students.

At 41, I don't really feel that old, other than not being able to run as fast or jump as high. I'm considering medical school after 15 years in another career. I may or may not be able to do it for practical reasons alluded to by a previous poster, so I would not advise that you wait as long as I did. However, by no means is it too late for you to become a physician.

apologies