Should I still take step 2 to match FM ? Please Please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AGK821199999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys , DO 4th year here who is applying rads and FM ( can’t decide love both applied both but now leaning more toward FM ) for this cycle. Took step 1 scored 230 and had to push step 2 and level 2 CE (done with PE) to late October and early November respectively. Got 8 interviews ( only 3 FM :( ) so far mixed should I still take step 2 at this point ? I think it’s too late and it won’t benefit me since it’s kind of late in the cycle , what do you guys think ?

Members don't see this ad.

If they know you're applying to two radically different fields, you're going to need every advantage you can get.

Reactions: 1 user
If they know you're applying to two radically different fields, you're going to need every advantage you can get.

I'll rank FM first now. I loved FM and rads along but after 2 aways rads and 2 aways FM I loved FM much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't really answer about Step 2 other than saying your step 1 is fine and you probably don't "need" a strong step 2 to prove your competence. Have you been sending LOIs to programs you can demonstrate a strong, specific interest in? That may be your best bet at this point if your app isn't very obviously FM-centered.
I haven't been doing so. I'm planning to start at the end of this month.. is it too late ?
I wrote a very FM oriented personal statement and have 2 letters of recommendation from FM one from a PD.
I'm not sure if they will find out that I'm applying to rads as well, didn't apply to same hospital/institution both. Should I be honest about it when I email them ? or they will think FM is my backup ? because it really really is NOT :(

I haven't been doing so. I'm planning to start at the end of this month.. is it too late ?
I wrote a very FM oriented personal statement and have 2 letters of recommendation from FM one from a PD.
I'm not sure if they will find out that I'm applying to rads as well, didn't apply to same hospital/institution both. Should I be honest about it when I email them ? or they will think FM is my backup ? because it really really is NOT :(
Nooooooooooooooooo!

And do not bother taking step2. You will match into FM.

Well, just want to reiterate to the OP, vastly different fields, one does involve "some" radiology, but obviously its still different.
Make sure you're going with your heart on this, always sucks to drop programs during residency as you tend to ruin schedules for your "classmates".