Should I specify my subspecialty in my ps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am preparing for my personal statement and wondering whether I should specify my subspecialty interest or just leave it as "pursue clinical fellowship training after residency". Any input please?! Tx

Members don't see this ad.

Cali2007 said:
Hi folks, I am preparing for my personal statement and wondering whether I should specify my subspecialty interest or just leave it as "pursue clinical fellowship training after residency". Any input please?! Tx

If you know, go ahead and put it in. It can't hurt. Programs know that future plans change during residency, but it is fine to express some specific interests now (either way, EVERY interviewer will ask you about possible future specialty choice). Plus, nobody is going to say, "Cali2007 wants to do neuromuscular, we already have too many of those, into the wastebasket with her application."

GopherBrain said:
If you know, go ahead and put it in. It can't hurt. Programs know that future plans change during residency, but it is fine to express some specific interests now (either way, EVERY interviewer will ask you about possible future specialty choice). Plus, nobody is going to say, "Cali2007 wants to do neuromuscular, we already have too many of those, into the wastebasket with her application."

Do you think that specifying an intrest in interventional neurology, given it is a new field, is looked down up? Obviously I don't know for sure what I want to do, and getting a solid general neurology education is my #1 prioroty. But I have been told that with regard to this specialty some PD's might be resistant. What do you think?

Thanks, folks, for involving this discussion. Thank you, Gogherbrain, for the input. I also talked to a PD regarding this. I was given the same message as Gogherbrain explained. so I will put down my subspecialty of interest and see how it goes.