Should I retake the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eezma

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I took my pcat in April and got bio 90, chem 86, RC 54, QA 64 and a composite of 78. My RC and QA are low and I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to retake? I have a 3.70 gpa, almost 5 years pharmacy experience, and participate in undergraduate research. I am new to all this and was just looking for some advice, anything would help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying in the current cycle (looking to start school in fall 2019) or next cycle (start school in fall 2020)?

Since you are asking if you should retake it, I'm going to guess that you're applying next cycle. Plan to apply early in the cycle for your best chances (set yourself a deadline of November-ish) but I think you should be fine with the scores you have.

Are you applying in the current cycle (looking to start school in fall 2019) or next cycle (start school in fall 2020)?

Since you are asking if you should retake it, I'm going to guess that you're applying next cycle. Plan to apply early in the cycle for your best chances (set yourself a deadline of November-ish) but I think you should be fine with the scores you have.
Thank you so much, really appreciate it :) Yes I am applying for the next cycle (2020) and I will definitely apply as soon as possible.

Hi all, so I took my pcat in April and got bio 90, chem 86, RC 54, QA 64 and a composite of 78. My RC and QA are low and I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to retake? I have a 3.70 gpa, almost 5 years pharmacy experience, and participate in undergraduate research. I am new to all this and was just looking for some advice, anything would help! Thank you!

Unless you plan on applying to top 5 tier programs and believe you can bust out a 90+ composite for such aforementioned programs, I would not retake. Maintain your GPA and keep working in a pharmacy setting.

Cast a wide net when the time comes and you'll be fine. You'll be competing with candidates with lower GPAs, lower PCAT scores, and no experience in a pharmacy (job shadowing does not count for this field). At that, many do bare minimum pre-reqs and not obtain a bachelors. Point being: Don't Retake

Reactions: 1 user
You're a competitive applicant across the board, no need to retake. You got this!