Should I retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtmed95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I just got my scores back from the Sept. 9th 2017 MCAT and got an overall score of 508

-508 overall score
-My breakdown was (128,124,128,128)
-My Science and cummulative GPA is: 3.90
-I have a lot of research experience with a 1st author publication in a good journal and will be at another research institute for my gap year and hopefully get some more publications.
-I have some extracurricular activities and volunteer/shadowing experience - but I'll be doing more in my gap year.

- I don't really care about getting into a top 20 med school or anything like that. I'm more concerned with getting into a med school where I'll be happy for four years. So a location I like with people I vibe well with.

What are your thoughts on if I should retake my MCAT? I realize my CARS score is low, but this is the section I had the most trouble with, so I'm not sure I can raise it too much more, maybe to a 126, but I'm not sure that would be worth it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, it is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be good to go....just be careful applying to schools that explicitly state that they screen out <125....from what I have read, they usually give people a break on lower CARS scores though.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile