Should I retake the GRE? aka WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschmitt98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Just looking for some advice. I took the GRE in mid March and scored a 156V (72nd percentile), 148Q (29th percentile), and 4.5AW (80th percentile). I have a 3.6-3.7 GPA and I currently work at a hospital as a therapy tech, alternating between (and racking up hours in) both inpatient and the outpatient clinic.

I know my scores aren't terrible and there are people who get into programs with lower scores. However, I'm a little concerned with my quantitative score, since I only got in the 29th percentile. I'm going to be applying this cycle starting in June, and I'm interested in applying to some schools that I view as more competitive for me and my stats (i.e. Northwestern, Duke, etc.). Would you take the time and money to retake the GRE?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would not. Your GPA is very good and your GRE is not bad at all even though quant isn't great. Additionally, most schools are starting to lean away from the GRE and removing it as a requirement completely so they can look at applicants more holistically. Again, it's your call tho, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! Just looking for some advice. I took the GRE in mid March and scored a 156V (72nd percentile), 148Q (29th percentile), and 4.5AW (80th percentile). I have a 3.6-3.7 GPA and I currently work at a hospital as a therapy tech, alternating between (and racking up hours in) both inpatient and the outpatient clinic.

I know my scores aren't terrible and there are people who get into programs with lower scores. However, I'm a little concerned with my quantitative score, since I only got in the 29th percentile. I'm going to be applying this cycle starting in June, and I'm interested in applying to some schools that I view as more competitive for me and my stats (i.e. Northwestern, Duke, etc.). Would you take the time and money to retake the GRE?

I wouldn’t retake it! Your scores and gpa is good enough for interview just make sure your personal statement is spotless! Also make sure you meet the minimum GRE score for the schools you’re applying to if they have any! I would reach out to schools individually instead of going off the website because sometimes if it’s a few points below 150 they don’t care too much! My score was a lot lower than yours and I got interviewed at 7 schools and got into my top choice! GOODLUCK