Should i retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybeapedsdoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that december 3d is coming in hot, I am doubting myself especially with my DAT scores.

My oGPA is a 3.64 and my sGPA is 3.5.
DAT: 20AA, 22 OC, 19 Bio, 17 GC (this is where it hurts), 22 RC, 19 QR and 20 PAT.
160 shadowing hours, 100+ community service, dental service abroad, lots of leadership positions throughout undergrad.

I have already received 3 interviews (LECOM, UF, and MWU-AZ) but am now considering on signing up for the DAT to reapply next cycle in case this doesn't go my way. Is it worth retaking it early next year if I am on a waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're good but why don't you just wait until dec 3rd and then go from there. if no acceptances into the schools that you desire, then retake, but your scores should be good enough in my opinion coupled with everything else.
Good luck, LMK what happens dec 3rd

I think you're good but why don't you just wait until dec 3rd and then go from there. if no acceptances into the schools that you desire, then retake, but your scores should be good enough in my opinion coupled with everything else.
Good luck, LMK what happens dec 3rd

I think now that the date is coming closer i am just freaking out a little bit, but you are right -- might as well wait till december 3rd. It's just so close yet so farrrr

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think now that the date is coming closer i am just freaking out a little bit, but you are right -- might as well wait till december 3rd. It's just so close yet so farrrr
yes definitely, I mean even if you retake the dat right this second, its not changing the ADCOM mind for dec 3rd. Relax, wait, and if you get rejected then go from there.
DW though, my sister-in-law had literally same exact gpa and DAT as you just switch your orgo and gen chem scores and she got accepted to NYU. and you're extra curricular are much much better. They happen to be excellent! don't worry, you are a great applicant!! I'm saying this because you're obviously very subjective on the manner, but im just looking at the stats, and yes, you are a great applicant. stop beating yourself up! and really, private message me on dec 3rd, I really want to know how everything went.

Now that december 3d is coming in hot, I am doubting myself especially with my DAT scores.

My oGPA is a 3.64 and my sGPA is 3.5.
DAT: 20AA, 22 OC, 19 Bio, 17 GC (this is where it hurts), 22 RC, 19 QR and 20 PAT.
160 shadowing hours, 100+ community service, dental service abroad, lots of leadership positions throughout undergrad.

I have already received 3 interviews (LECOM, UF, and MWU-AZ) but am now considering on signing up for the DAT to reapply next cycle in case this doesn't go my way. Is it worth retaking it early next year if I am on a waitlist?

As the others have mentioned, I would wait until Dec. 3rd. Your GPAs are solid, and your DAT isn't bad. Best of luck to you!

Or just post here. Lowkey curious also... good luck!

hahaha thank you all! i will post an update with hopefully good news :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Update - I got accepted to MWU!!! I haven’t heard back from LECOM or UF yet. I loved MWU and it’s clinical program but I really want to stay close to home.

Do you all think it would it be worth retaking the dat? I also applied to VCU and Tennessee, so I was wondering if retaking it late January/ early February and getting a higher score would maybe land an interview and acceptance and schools closer to FL?

You should figure out when the last spring interview is for UF. If the timeline fits and you're willing to go through the DAT again, by all means take it. That amount of stress and work is worth it for in-state tuition.

Update - I got accepted to MWU!!! I haven’t heard back from LECOM or UF yet. I loved MWU and it’s clinical program but I really want to stay close to home.

Do you all think it would it be worth retaking the dat? I also applied to VCU and Tennessee, so I was wondering if retaking it late January/ early February and getting a higher score would maybe land an interview and acceptance and schools closer to FL?

Congrats on acceptance!!

Now I would recommend retaking the Dat. You can now retake the DAT knowing what you know, and now you won't be so nervous knowing that you are already in Dental School. You're studying would be a lot more focused and narrowed to get into that 1 school that you want to get into.

The DAT now kind of feels like a luxury in a sense. You will just take it, if you do better, GREAT, then you go to the closer school. If not, who cares, you're already going to D.S and are gonna be a dentist in a few years.

When you took the DAT the first time you were probably nervous, asking yourself "Can I do it? Do I have what it takes?"

Now you know that you do!

When do you think i should take it by to land a post-dec interview??