Should I retake science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedProspect

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working to get my undergraduate degree in biology. I transferred universities after my first semester sophomore year. I have already had to retake general chemistry and received a B the second time. When I took the second course for general chemistry I received a C. Fast forward to this last semester and I received a D in organic chemistry 1. I also received a D in a medical microbiology course. I plan on retaking both courses this next spring semester, but I am unsure if it will even help my chances of getting into medical school. My first semester freshman year I received a 4.00 GPA, but I also lost my father unexpectedly to a heart attack. My second semester was rather difficult for me, and while my dad passing is not an excuse for my poor academic performance, my grades slipped. It is quite frustrating knowing what you are capable of achieving and failing to do so.

In addition to receiving less than stellar grades, I went through a period where I was unsure what career path I wanted to take. This ultimately put me behind schedule to graduate on time. I am not concerned that I will not graduate on time; I am concerned that I no longer have a chance of acceptance into medical school. Should I retake the classes I received D's in this upcoming semester or keep going and retake them at a later time?

I am hoping to receive some uplifting advice and guidance regarding which route I should take. What can I do to better my chances of attaining my career aspirations?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.