Should I retake pre-req courses from 10 years ago if I did an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBendova

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First time poster.

About me real quick: I graduated in 2012 at UF with a 2.56 GPA with my BS in Microbiology. In 2018, I regained some confidence and decided to try for med school again. I took some classes at a community college (Straight As in 3 science classes +labs and English), did well on the GRE (313) and got accepted into USF's Master of Medical Science Anatomy concentration program. At the end of this masters program, I am expecting to have a 3.92 GPA and a graduate certificate in Pathology.

My question is, would it benefit me to retake all of the pre-reqs since they are from about a decade ago? I know some schools require them to be more recent, but I already checked and will not be applying to those schools.

I am, however, quite confident that I can excel at the MCAT, which is currently scheduled for September of this year after the end of the program. Since it covers those pre-req topics, I thought maybe it would be a good representation of my abilities in those topics now, despite my shortcomings from a decade ago. This masters program I am in is also heavy on the biological sciences (anatomy, histology, embryology, systems based pathology courses, gross anatomy lab, etc.), but I worry that it is not as well rounded as other SMPs/post baccs.

So my question is: would it be beneficial for me to use the time after the masters program to retake a few courses at a community college, or will a stellar MCAT score and specialized graduate GPA outshine those old undergraduate prereqs?

I plan on applying to med school in 2021, so if I do not need to retake any courses, it will free up some time to really get into research and other extracurricular activities. That's why I am on the fence about additional classes. I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless the school has a strict requirement on pre-req expiration, then your SMP is what adcoms will mainly look at, Work on getting an excellent MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless the school has a strict requirement on pre-req expiration, then your SMP is what adcoms will mainly look at, Work on getting an excellent MCAT.
One benefit to taking classes again is that it would help with the MCAT, but the cost and time is the biggest factor. Thanks for the reply, it’s reassuring.

Reactions: 1 user
One benefit to taking classes again is that it would help with the MCAT, but the cost and time is the biggest factor. Thanks for the reply, it’s reassuring.

Redoing the prerecs *would* help, but most of the prerecs are watered down to what the MCAT actually tests. It would be an inefficient, costly, and lengthy way when you could achieve similar with a comprehensive review of the MCAT materials. If you have been out of the game for a particular subject, Princeton Review books are helpful because they are like MCAT 'textbooks'.

Just crush the MCAT and that anatomy concentration should carry the day. A whole bunch of my friends got in via that very program.

Also, Go Bulls!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users