Should I retake my MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlunobserved

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basic rundown: I got a 513 on my first attempt, and am applying this cycle. When taking my MCAT, I lost 20 minutes of time due to a computer crash, from which I obtained 7 minutes back - leaving me with a 13 minute loss of time during CARS. I have an issued statement from the AAMC about this which I'll add to my application. If I apply this year, I'll have to take in somewhere in the next 2 months, the last date is June 30th.

Members don't see this ad.

No. You're Gucci

Reactions: 1 users
Was your CARS section significantly lower than your practice exams? I scored about what you did, and I was told not to retake unless I was scoring 520+ on multiple practice exams. It's a decent score, so retaking is a little risky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't. I didn't have any computer malfunctions, but my best section was MUCH than my normal average (CARS was usually my best easily, 131 avg, but much lower on real exam). So I was in a similar situation with a lower test score that my practice tests but it was still good, it's just not worth it IMO. 513 is good and taking again seems like a big risk.

If you really want to I would agree with above and not take until consistently 520+.

How long ago was your test? What were you scoring on practice tests? What schools did you want to apply to?
It was in January, so not too long ago. My highest practice test (AAMC) was 517. And my reach schools are BU and Mount Sinai.

I wouldn't retake if your highest practice was a 517. My highest FL was around there and I scored around where you did.

Basic rundown: I got a 513 on my first attempt, and am applying this cycle. When taking my MCAT, I lost 20 minutes of time due to a computer crash, from which I obtained 7 minutes back - leaving me with a 13 minute loss of time during CARS. I have an issued statement from the AAMC about this which I'll add to my application. If I apply this year, I'll have to take in somewhere in the next 2 months, the last date is June 30th.
So help me, if you do something as stupid as retaking a great scvore like that, I will reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

Reactions: 8 users
So help me, if you do something as stupid as retaking a great scvore like that, I will reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

Goro, you make me wish there was a love button.

Reactions: 1 user