Should I retake MCAT (505)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaWeeds

Reaction score
I am new to SDN, I wasn't sure if this is the correct place to post. But, I needed some advice regarding mcat score retake. I unfortunately didn't do so well on my first mcat which I took the summer of my senior year 502 (125/123/127/127). It was a combo of weak topics and a lot of stress from home/being sick. I decided to not apply for that cycle and wait until the 2023-2024 cycle to apply. I did again get very ill and required some hospitalization in the end of 2022. However, I still pushed and studied few hours every day for nearly 3-4 months and retook the exam in march. My major focus was CP and BB. I did do plenty cars practice but it was fluctuating. English is not my first language (immigrant at 14). I ended up scoring 505 (128/124/129/124). The PS score was an absolute shock. I didn't review my FLs first time around, and i was scoring 128-130 on all my aamc practice exams retakes (which i was hoping to be accurate as I didn't remember questions at all) including FL5 which I didn't take before (scored 510 128/124/130/128). So my 2nd retake was very alarming. If it would help at all my FLs avg was about 512. My second retake was the average of my FL avg subsections except for PS.

1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 502 (125/123/127/127), 505 (128/124/129/124).
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): Science major. GPA is 3.91 and science GPA 3.94 (I was ill last few semesters and things were getting difficult to keep up, so I ended up with B and A- in some non science classes).
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Middle eastern idk where that falls under
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Not very specific, but hoping for state school at least. Obviously not an option with my score.
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like: 3 years of club leadership major projects and recognition w LOR 1000+ hrs, 1 year of LGBTQ+ clinic focused involvement 60+ hrs (shut down due to covid and returning this year), 1 year of LGBTQ+ leadership 100+ hrs w impact on university, crisis text line 100+ hrs, 70+ hrs ICU vol during COVID, pharm tech 500+ hrs, competitive SURF at state school w presentation in a national conference, tutoring/leadership 500+ w LOR, research honors 500+ hrs w LOR, scribe 500+ hrs, museum tour guide 300+ hrs, summer leadership role 500+ hours, (starting MA or clinical research assistant job soon)
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I think my first mcat studying was absolute madness. I was highly involved with multiple ec's that it was very hard to focus on studying. I also was very ill and dealing with other issues. My second retake was more focused since I was home and only focused on studying, however i was plagued with fatigue and other symptomes from my illness and medications. i still think despite this i studied well for 508+ at minimum.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better? my health is more consistent right now. I think I can focus on cars more. I am not sure what happened with my ps score but maybe fatigue played a role. I am not sure if my current score would make the cut from certain schools. I needed advise if I should invest in applying right now with my second retake, because I do not have the money for another application. I don't have much guidance so I don't know what my next step should be. My major concern with a retake is to do it in jan and applying next year. That would require updating the letters, also not sure how some of my activities would be since that would mean 2 years far out from the actual application cycle. I am also concerned about doing worse in the science sections. However, a retake could mean a better shot at state school. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence?

I would not recommend retaking it again. An improvement of even 5 points on the 3rd attempt will get averaged out by some schools, and others will not value it much even if they do not have a formal policy on averaging scores.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your state of residence?

I would not recommend retaking it again. An improvement of even 5 points on the 3rd attempt will get averaged out by some schools, and others will not value it much even if they do not have a formal policy on averaging scores.
Michigan..

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try CMU, Michigan State, Oakland and Wayne State, but will need to apply to several DO schools.

For DO, I suggest:
MSUCOM
PCOM
DMU
LECOM
Marian
KCU
KCOM
Campbell
Touro NV
ACOM

Reactions: 1 users
You could try CMU, Michigan State, Oakland and Wayne State, but will need to apply to several DO schools.

For DO, I suggest:
MSUCOM
PCOM
DMU
LECOM
Marian
KCU
KCOM
Campbell
Touro NV
ACOM
Can you suggest OOS mds as well?

I can't recommend a retake. You seem to have plateaued.

I suggest:
Temple (maybe)
Hackensack Meridian
Loyola
Tulane
Albany
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless you can without a doubt push it to a 510-512 or higher, your time is better spent improving your application elsewhere and being very wise in choosing where you apply. Another sub 510 score, even with a small improvement, might actually hurt you.

You're lucky that an all star team of application experts have replied in this thread already. There is some absolutely solid advice being sent your way here, sop cherish it.

I can't recommend a retake. You seem to have plateaued.

I suggest:
Temple (maybe)
Hackensack Meridian
Loyola
Tulane
Albany
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Rosy Franklin
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Your state school(s).
Any DO program. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, ARCOM, RVU, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible.
thank you very much for the list. Should I be concerned about my PS score section being screened out for any of the listed schools. That's my main concern about my using my second retake.
If you are fluent in Spanish, I would recommend the 3 Puerto Rican schools that consider OOS.
Do you have any connection to that community?
I do not unfortunately.